Welcome to RCCars.com! - please login or click this bar to join our community...

Create a new account or Log in:     Remember Me    I forgot my password!

Go Back   RCCars.com > Technology > Electric Motors & Batteries

Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #1

Default 9.6v 8 cell NiCd question

Hi guys,

Whats the difference between a 3 wire and a 2 wire one? My Rc 4x4 only has 2 wires, black and red but the battery they supplied with it has 3. Its an extra blue wire that has no connection to the car?

Can i change the tamiya connectors to 2 wire ones and buy a 2 wire battery of higher MAh of same 9.6v?

cheers, Rich
R1CHNST4CE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #2

I would say temperature sensing.
Do you have a pic? There should be no problem changing the connectors.
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #3

Cheers for that. They may have just used a generic battery then?

They seem to have wired the connectors differently to standard too? I thought usually the circle is negative and square is positive? They seem to have wired both squares and left the circle?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #4

I'd agree, just something generic. You can measure the voltage just to be sure. If it is a temperature sensor there won't be much voltage and there will be resistance that could be measured if you care. If there is the right voltage at black and red, change the end and tape up the blue wire.
You could remove the shrink wrap and see if there is a thermal resistor or remove the blue wire at that time but, I wouldn't be concerned.

Edit: my guess is it's just a wire splitting the pack voltage so they can use the pack with something else.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
I'd agree, just something generic. You can measure the voltage just to be sure. If it is a temperature sensor there won't be much voltage and there will be resistance that could be measured if you care. If there is the right voltage at black and red, change the end and tape up the blue wire.
You could remove the shrink wrap and see if there is a thermal resistor or remove the blue wire at that time but, I wouldn't be concerned.

Edit: my guess is it's just a wire splitting the pack voltage so they can use the pack with something else.
Cheers, i have just measured voltages : blue wire is 7.5v and red is 10.1v seems pack may be slightly over charged due to the charger having no sensing technology. it just says charge for 5-6 hours.

I have changed the connectors on the car, charger and the battery to double tamiya. pics below. I just need to decide what to do with the blue wire. may be handy to keep if i ever need slightly lower voltage for a project.

all negatives have been assigned to the circle and positive to the square.

Last edited by R1CHNST4CE; 01-15-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #6

I have ordered the Vapex smart charger for all 4-10 cell battery packs. stops charging when bat is full

Hopefully will stop the over charging problem
Old 01-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #7

9.6v is the nominal voltage for the pack, the reading of 10.1v is fine and not over charged.
tape up the wire so you don't accidently cause a short, it's not a temp wire for sure.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #8

cheers, the only thing i an worried about is that the battery gets quite hot and unsure of where to tape wire. is it ok to isulate end and tape it to the pack?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #9

ya that will work.
Hot is Ok, Ni-cads can handle the heat.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #10

all sorted. taped it to the end of the pack with yellow insulation tape. cheers for your comments