PDA

View Full Version : BIG JIM'S COMMENTARY and your rebuttles.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Big Jim
01-01-2003, 02:27 PM
I decided to start a new "Popular" topic devoted to opinions and things I have to say as well as what you have to say. As long as you keep it clean and in good taste for racers and enthusiasts of all ages, nothing will be deleted here. I don't believe ANY other r/c forum affords a space like this.

Have a compliment? A complaint? Or just want to express and opinion?

THIS IS THE PLACE!

I decided to move this here and start this topic.

COMMENTARY...

The deal whether a racer prefers Trinity, Reedy or whatever is up to one's opinion. But there are people out there who don't know so they believe the ad hype and then are disappointed. One of the main reasons I do this forum is to save racers money by giving them more informed choices.

Yeah, I know a lot is MY opinion but I have worked for Trinity twice, known the CEO and President of Trinity for over 20 years (and they are TWO separate people), designed the P2K and D4 motors as well as the Real Time 2 discharge tray and seen how the company works from deep inside. Wouldn't one have a tendency to believe what I have to say? I think an intelligent person would. This is not about being fired or how they treated me. It's about WHAT I HAVE SEEN FIRST HAND.

Tim Morton (former owner and founder of TRC Tires, bought out by Trinity), Neal McCurdy, (owner and founder of Revtech bought out by Trinity and worked for Trinity as head motor-man for 5 years), Todd Putnam (ex-motor man for Team T and GOOD at what he does) , Andy Jacobs (Former owner and founder of Andy's Bodies, bought out by Trinity and he got worked over hard), Rick Hohwart (GM of Orion USA and Peak Performance who once had a battery deal with the big T) as well as myself. These names form the foundation of r/c racing. Without these guys and the companies they started, it would not be the same great sport we enjoy today, yet ALL of us have the same opinion of the Big T. Why do you think that is? Because we don't know what's really going on? I somehow don't think so.

And third, Mike Reedy and Associated Electrics have been around longer than Trinity and is the Big T's biggest competitor. But they don't have the dubious and duplicitous reputation that the Big T has. Why? That's a rhetorical question. You are all smart. I don't have to tell you.

This will be the last post I'm going to say about this matter. But sooner-or-later someone is going to post something to the effect of "Why do you always slam Trinity Big Jim"?. Please everyone, point them to this New Years Day post so I don't have to go over this thing again. Negative comments mentioned too much aren't good for our sport. It turns off potential newbies who would otherwise get involved in this great past-time. But certain things must be said to make informed choices.

And this is NOT saying that every product that Trinity makes is junk. THIS IS JUST NOT SO AT ALL! They make some VERY GOOD products. But the Big T hypes the good ones up as well as the ones not so good as well as the real stinkos. How do you know which ones to buy? Read my forum. But don't say I'm bashing the Big T when I tell you. Funny, no one ever commends me for all the times I mention how good the P2K or the P2K2 motors are or the #4499 and #4500 brushes I recommend almost on a weekly basis.

Yes, Ernest Provetti (CEO of Trinity) was unsuccessful in his 'bid" for the ROAR presidency. The ROAR members are people that can't be bought. This man has threatened to sue me on several occasions for what I have to say about the Big T. But nothing ever comes of it. It would seem I have more evidence and witnesses to my allegations than he has to the contrary.

Just my opinion as a well-informed individual.

Have a great New Years Day.

Nanook
01-01-2003, 02:42 PM
I think this is a good idea Jim.

Big Jim
01-01-2003, 02:53 PM
(originally posted by OUTDRIVE on the Reedy Motors topic. I moved it here-BJ)

I am not trying to jump on the Reedy/AE forum band wagon, but I haven't had a lot of luck communicating with Trinity in the past. When I saw their new pan car, I wanted more information. I was ready to buy a new car and needed one in a hurry. I followed their web site links and virtually ended up with a generic, blank email form page to contact the company. I did contact them, three times, asking for more information and availability. Now, I realize I am just a lowly small time R/C racer, but dammit, they never once replied. I even was able to contact their switchboard, but all I got was voice mails when I was transferred to customer service, and no replies. Also, in the past, I have had questions concerning Trinity products and never received any response then either. I think they have great products, just darn poor end user support. My three Trinity motors are all I have left of the once pure Trinity R/C fleet.

Recently, before I found this forum, I had a question concerning my TC3. Within minutes, Steve Husting, (I think you mean Curtis Hustings-BJ) of Associated, replied with an answer. I replied back that is not what the answer I was looking for. He again replied and offered to get one of the Pro's involved. Within 4 hours, seven emails had been exchanged back and forth. Now remember, I was still a lowly small time R/C racer, but AE decided it is beneficial to help their end customer. I have to agree. And if professionals like AE and BJ promote Reedy motors, I know where my money will be spent.

I don't know why I posted all that here. You guys mentioned the rivalry and it tripped my trigger. Damn I'm tired!

Happy New Year...

(BTW, Gene Hustings and his son Curtis were two of the founding members of Associated Electrics back in the 70's (Roger Curtis being the other). For you to receive an email from Curtis shows extreme dedication to customer satisfaction, IMO. Do you think Ernie Provetti would email you about a problem or question about Trinity products? Doubtful.)

derekjr_1
01-01-2003, 03:01 PM
This is a REALLY good idea! It sums it up so the OTHER good forums with information dont have to be taken up with WHY DO YOU BASH TRINITY posts.

If you got something to say, say it here.

I agree and like I have said before, there are some products of Trinity that I like, and others that I dont!

Big Jim
01-01-2003, 03:33 PM
And some people wonder why I'm so down on Trinity.

It's because EVERYONE has the same problem with them as you did, Outdrive. No Tech Support, too many rejected warranty claims, piss-poor after sales service and not enough R&D on too many products.

But the CEO Ernest Provetti knows how to spend your money. He once paid Michael Jordon $5000 to shake his hand (or was it the real "Magic" Johnson, I forget).

And when I left Trinity 3 years ago, there was tons of unused space at their Edison plant. Things could have certainly been moved around and consolidated, like the TRC dept. Why they needed to move to a "bigger" building isn't known. Or is it REALLY "bigger". Humm...

I remember when Maxtec moved from their big 5000 square ft. plant in Santa Ana, CA to a 600 sq.ft hole-in-the-wall, they told everyone in the industry that their new shop was "bigger". 6 months later they were gone. Humm....

Scrubb
01-01-2003, 05:20 PM
this is an intresting topic indeed...

I started in 1984 when AE came out with there original rc10. I am preferrable to AE because of the incredible products that they have produced and supported since i've been in the hobby. AE has never bashed another company in any of its advertising (unlike trinity). They never lie about their products, or even state things like "no copies" (unlike trinity). And i say LIE because trinity flat out lies about the quality of there products. AE has always recommended practicing over buying worthless crap you don't need. Their customer service has always been the best in the hobby, in every respect. as a matter of fact, i've never had to pay for a part that was ever missing from my kits or for any part that was defective. AE sells updates for thier kits when possible as opposed to releasing a newer version every six months just to sell "new" stuff. AE has never bought any of their pro drivers. Alot of the pros start out with AE and are later bought by trinity because trinity knows consumers ( i say consumers because that is all each and every one of you is to trinity) will buy whatever they see on kinwalds (started with AE), matt francis (started with AE) and other pro cars they see. Even Gil Losi Jr. worked at AE before starting Losi. Joel johnson is the only original sponsered driver with trinity and although i admire his talent and his commitment, i dislike his commitment to trinity. there are many many great products out there and there are many great companies. Rich Howart with Peak Performance is a great guy and he sells great products, Orion is another good company, Hudy is a good company, there are many. But, i know That AE has been in the hobby since the beginning, i know that they are commited to rc car racing, and i know i can count on their products, support and quality to help me enjoy my hobby.

denntec
01-01-2003, 05:22 PM
The end user support is why I am a AE/ Reedy product supporter , I too had and used the big T and nothing else, but the support just isn't there never has been for the grass root's racer that pay's there bill's, But AE/ Reedy is awsome ! I was fortunate enough to meet Mike Reedy at a race at the old Ranch Pit Shop many moon's ago, I was haveing problem's with my T motor and ask his advise he didn't hesitate to help me get it sorted out and it wasn't a Reedy motor ! I'm shure he wouldn't remeber me this was back in the mid 80's I think but I shure remeber him ! after that race I sold all the T motor's I had and started buying Reedy's, this was not the only time I got help from AE/ Reedy I remeber Jay Halsy advising me on set-up's at the track there are many more still with AE/Reedy that I saw all the time going out of there way to help somebody out this is why I have and allway's will be an AE/ Reedy supporter and recomend there product's every chance I get . denntec's big AE/Reedy PLUG !!!!!!! LOL:D

jeffie86-96
01-01-2003, 05:26 PM
All I care is that YOU tell me what to do to avoid trouble. Thanks Jim.;)

OutDrive
01-01-2003, 10:58 PM
Hey BJ,

This commentary is a great idea. As it grows, maybe it can become a resource for the manufactures. If a growing trend of problems begin to surface, and the complaints are all kind of isolated here, maybe it might get someone's attention. Much easier and more obvious than a remark made randomly in various posts.

Who knows? Great idea anyway...thanks!

Big Jim
01-02-2003, 12:12 AM
What no hecklers yet?

Tell a kid he can't have a cookie and he whines and moans. But give him that cookie and he don't want it! Anybody see the metaphor here besides me?

derekjr_1
01-02-2003, 12:26 AM
Good metaphor. I am SOOOOO suprised there are no BASHERS in here YET! Or did I just open a can or worms?

Well see. If you build it they will come (ohh wait that is a different saying from that movie, LOL)....

Scrubb
01-02-2003, 12:29 AM
well, Jim...

I think you should spend more time getting caught up with your business, and i think you should find a way to start manufacturing motors again...nice USA made motors.
find somebody to design and build you a water brake dyno like you want

Big Jim
01-02-2003, 12:35 AM
No arguement from me Scrubb. I agree completely.

Big Jim
01-02-2003, 01:07 AM
I've been on the forum ALL DAY. I'm beat!

Ya'all have a great evening. I'm goin' nappin'.

Love Ya!

jeffie86-96
01-02-2003, 02:27 AM
I'm confused. :confused:
I met Big Jim "virtually" before I got interested in RC, when I did get the itch to have a nice touring car he gave me good advice on what to buy even if what I had in mind wasn't "Associated" or "Reedy" product.
I never heard him say anything derogatory towards any other manufacurer other than to give his expert opinion on specific items.
I respect his authority on the subject and appreciate the time he spends here.
Why persons on this and another board I subscribe to feel it is necessary to attack him on a personal level is beyond me.
He has his faults but so do I and every member of the human race.
Some have attacked him on his past work history, well I got that beat hands down!!
He helps here when all he really needs to say is "please refer to Black Book page #123456 " Consider.
Perhaps the "hecklers" Have the most to gain from his silence (they probably read his book and are dominant racers) Heh

Big Jim
01-02-2003, 09:54 AM
Thanks Jeffie,

Hey, I'm proud of my work history.

Not being able to get along with some of the idiots in the manufacturing end of r/c just lets me know how right I am about things. Sometimes the right things to do are not popular with your employer. Is there anybody who can disagree with that? I have never and will never sacrifice my integrity for a JOB!

If there's anybody who wants to attack my past employment record, I've got nothing to hide. What's really important is my current record with the great people at AE and Mike Reedy. Just ask them what they think.

At last, I'm with a company that's not out to make crappy products just to have something else to sell and provides good service before and after the sale. I've never known a company that has it's eye on the future of r/c racing more than Associated Electrics and Mike Reedy. Even if my contract with them someday ends, I'll have only great things to say about them and I'm pretty the feeling will be mutual.

Big Jim
01-02-2003, 10:49 AM
According to MSN's Jeff Wuorio, the 5 biggest mistakes companies make are:

1. Advertising always works.
2. Build it and they will come.
3. Love You no matter what.
5. One size fits all.
5. Doing things alone is best.

I'm so guilty of #5 but it's better than any of the others, if I had to be guilty of one of these. How many r/c companies do you know that are guilty of #1 and #2?

For the complete article, here's the URL.

http://www.bcentral.com/articles/wuorio/167.asp

Rass Nya
01-02-2003, 12:03 PM
It is good to see that you can speak your
mind on the big T, but you should know
that the big T is all about the business
and not for the rc racers, look at what they are doing, they will buy everthing that
they think will make the business make
more money, so you can not bash the
big T on that because they are business
people and that what business people
do make money. The next side of that
is if you think about business and money
and do not supply the service that your
money business require then you will
soon see the decline of your business
and that is what will take place with the
big T, as the saying goes every dog has
his day. That is my 2$.

MattW1
01-02-2003, 12:38 PM
I remember reading an artical about a worlds race, i think it was the off rd in Finland in about '99. There was a bit in there about the different attitudes of the big teams. AE/Reedy such a friendly almost family like effort built on trust. Losi/Trinity, purely business.

Says it all really

Big Jim
01-02-2003, 02:21 PM
Well....

There is a difference. I've known Pops and Jr. Losi for many years. In fact, they both used to be members of Team Checkpoint and ran my motor exclusively. Junior won the SCORE World's Championship for me in off-road in both 1983 and 1984. This was THE biggest electric r/c race of it's day. And as I started to say before I digressed, Pops (Gil Losi Sr.) is all business and sometimes he does things that's a little off color but he has never screwed over anyone that I know of and most of his employees have been with him for years. This indicates he treats them well.

But the selling out 50% of the business to Trinity that was so quickly dissolved is evidence that Team Losi and Trinity don't think anything alike. Ernie and Pops just couldn't get along in business together with such opposite views on how to treat customers and employees.

When I was at Team Losi visiting my two good friends one day, I noticed that at the 3pm break, some of the employees went out to the back and played basketball for about 20 minutes, relieving some of the tension from sitting at a desk all day. I thought this was excellent but a bit out of the ordinary for a business.
Years later when I was working for the Big T and Ernie bought into Losi, I asked him what he thought about the employees playing basketball at the 3pm break. He said, "Well, they don't do that anymore, I can tell ya".

And this is what separates the Losi business philosphy from that of Trinity's. It's reflected in how their employees and customers feel about the two companies as well.

Ernie Provetti (CEO of Trinity) requires all salaried employees to work from 8am to 6:30pm, 5 days a week with only a 40 minute lunch "hour" and no breaks. That got old really quick I can say that.
In fairness, I must say he gives most employees an extra week's gross pay every year for Xmas and throws a nice catered breakfast on Xmas Eve and after inventory is taken, we all got to go home and paid for the entire day. I missed all the festivities however because I was home sick with the flu the whole week, probably brought on by a lowered resistance from working so much.

They don't call New Jersey the Garden State for nothing. Land of allergies, REALLY big bugs and the biggest land-fill dump site in the entire USA. It doesn't smell like a garden when you drive by that I can tell you.

jeffie86-96
01-02-2003, 06:08 PM
If you want to keep an employee you can't work them 60 hours a week every week, but according to current executives thinkin, you can always get someone else and they will work cheaper. :mad:

SuperSpeed
01-02-2003, 11:39 PM
I have a friend who sent in 2 gp3300 battey packs (loose cells) back to Trinity. He filled out the warranty information along with a page of what happened in detail. On the other end, about 2 weeks later, he got the stuff back along with a 2 sentences note from T basically ignoring the warranty and told my friend to buy more battery.

personally, I have not deal with T. Working at LHS part time, we get stuff come back such as motors, batteries, esc, etc. I'm glad that I didn't make the rule, most of them had to go direct with the manufacture. I've heard some cases of bad exprience between trinity and customers.

trinity wants to buy out every thing out there, so they can control the r/c circle. This make small companies very tough to stay in business, which is a shame. I hope the CEO of T will learn something from the election of ROAR president, also please take some time to listen what your customers have to say.

just my 2 cent
superspeed

Big Jim
01-02-2003, 11:54 PM
Excellent Posts Everyone!

Yes, this is your place to spout off, compliment or just say your piece. As long as it's r/c related and the language is fit for all, I will not delete anything said on this topic no matter what!

Keep it coming. I find all your comments interesting as I'm sure most others do too.

hooked911
01-03-2003, 12:05 AM
I use both trinity and associated stuff, I like both about the same. The only thing i wish is that associated would get on the ball more. Case and point, the new motors from reedy. Its taking waaayyy to long in my op. I know the problems face by mfg. come on... I dont want them to be like the big t and crank out a bunch of stuff and leave the racer to pick the good stuff from the gimmicks but I would like to see more products or faster production of products..... Really all i want is a T4...

Claydoh
01-03-2003, 12:35 AM
All this talk about "that company in New Jersey" sounds like what we talk about at the computer company I work for. We had just written a new online proofing system when the Devil of Redmond broke Java and put us in the dumpster. All because they could.

Marginal products, poor customer support and questionable business ethics ...sounds like T took a lesson from Microsoft

OutDrive
01-03-2003, 12:44 AM
I am sure no one wants the new motor out as bad as Mr. Reedy does!

I would much rather wait for a tested, refined and proven product than buy something that a company has produced just so they can say "Me too!".

Take care...

bigdan
01-03-2003, 06:09 PM
I prefer to wait for what I expect is going to be an awsome motor. If I wanted to rush and get a poorly designed and hyped up do nothing good motor, I would get that one with the silly gekko or lizard thing on it. But what do I know.

heftybone
01-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Big Jim,

I think you talk about the new Reedy Motors too much in your "New Reedy Motor" forum.

You don't give details, but you point people in the direction of the parts on the motor that you are working on. One example I'm refering to hapened when you mentioned on Hobby Talk that Mike Reedy didn't like your armature design idea for the new stock motor, due to a "legality" in the timing. I can't get specific quotes, 'cause the comment was made on Hobbytalk and I don't wanna drudge up that forum, if it still exists. But the obvious notion is that you were working on the armature. No details, but given that you later stated that it would be like nothing out on the market, the competition can take all current designs and rule them out as possibilities.

Add to that, the nature of "announcing" a new motor months before its release and you are very close to labeling Reedy Motors somewhat like the Microsoft of the R/C world. How many MVP's have not been sold in anticipation of the new stocker?

Just my 2 cents...

:)hb

jeffie86-96
01-03-2003, 09:49 PM
In my opinion Jim is probably not wanting people to waste their money buying any other stock motor since the new one will be so revolutionary all others will be obsolete, but that's just my .02 cents ;)

derekjr_1
01-03-2003, 09:54 PM
I truly hope it is REVOLUTIONARY. I trust BJ and his comments, so I cant wait.

It just better not be some P-94 junk like the big-t said would change MOD forever! HA!

I am sure the new stocker will be awsome, but I hate the anticipation as well.

OutDrive
01-04-2003, 12:12 AM
Hey BJ, guys,

I received an email, yesterday, I believe, from Associated's mailing list. It was a notice of a problem with a radio that is included with some of their RTR kits. There was also a link included on how to make a modification to rememdy the problem. I thought this was pretty cool that they notified everyone on their list about the problem. Anyway, it peaked my curiosity if Trinity offered this same type of service, so I went to their website. I didn't make it far though. I saw a discussion in their forum concerning "some clown bashing Trinity, their products and employees". Well, I didn't agree with Mr. Maverick's comments. You all know by now how wordy I can get ;)

By the way, my reply post was too long for the forum settings. I had to edit it to two seperate posts!

Following is my reply:

"Hello Maverick,

I am an avid reader of Mr. Greenemeyer's forum advice, tips and tuning tricks. Today, I ordered my copy of "The R/C Motor Black Book", the most comprehensive guide to understanding R/C motors. This book was authored by Mr. Greenemeyer.

In his forum, I have seen him respond to technical questions in a matter of minutes. I have seen him patient with new racers as they ask very basic questions. I have even seen him put up with some of my ****! But, I have never once seen him "trash a Trinity product or employee". Matter of fact, a lot of his discussions include positive information concerning Trinity products and how to tune them for the ultimate performance.

Further, I have not seen him offer comments, negative or positive, on anything that is not related to R/C motors and the equipment used to tune and maintain them. He is very focused on helping racers, like myself, get the most enjoyment out of their sport.

As far as your personnal attacks, if you were to see a photo of him, you would understand why he calls himself "Big" Jim Greenemeyer. His customers and readers refer to him as "Big" Jim because of the work he has done, and continues to do, in our sport. Is he opinionated? Yes, he is. You tend to be that way when you have accomplished what he has.

I also have posted in the Comments and Rebuttal thread, as several others have. You are welcome and invited to visit the forum and read my post. I am one of the past Trinity customers who was ignored too often. The details of my failed attempts to have a Trinity representative contact me are listed in that post. My forum user name is OutDrive, just as it is here. You should note that Mr. Greenemeyer left the thread open for discussion by naming it "Big Jims commentary and 'YOUR' rebuttle". Not many rebuttles have been posted in disagreement.

My view is, if I want a new P2K2, I'll go buy one. If I want a new MVP or a new Reedy stocker, I'll go buy one. If I want a new pan car...I'll go buy a L4O.

Take care..."

By the way BJ, a few others in this thread made positive and, well, let's say somewhat positive ;) comments about you. I doubt Mr. Maverick visits this forum.

OK, gotta go check the batteries! Race tomorrow!

Take care...

derekjr_1
01-04-2003, 12:38 AM
What a joke! That guy is so nuts, I bet he doesnt know crap about motors or RC's for that fact. Good job outdrive. I am sure soon some bashers will be in here with there crap!

It seems as though the bashers are the idiots that need help all the time and think they know it all. This thread is really getting good.

Big Jim
01-04-2003, 02:14 AM
Well put OD,

But I'm sure your post is deleted by now, your psassword won't work either. And your email address stays in the system preventing you from registering again with that same address. They go to great lengths to keep you all from knowing the truth and how it really is.

One thing you will NEVER see on TT is a topic such as this one where someone can post anything without fear of deletion. They would get just WAY TOO MANY negative posts.

But Ernie Provetti (CEO), Tony P (Pres), Joel Johnson (nice guy) or any Trinity employee or team member or even the wannabe's can post anything they want here. But they can't say too much about what I have said. It's all true. It's hard to fight the truth with lies. Bash me all you want but the facts never change.

I make a challenge to them to post here without reprisal or deletion. Is that fair? Yeah, try that on TT.

I'm not proud of everything I've done in the past but I can take it. They can't.

It's a lot easier to be a big fish in a little pond than swim upstream and fight adversity like I've done. I'm leaving myself wide open on this topic but the pond is a little bigger here and that's what they fear.

Gutter Ball
01-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by heftybone
How many MVP's have not been sold in anticipation of the new stocker?
Just my 2 cents...
Demand for the MVP didn't go down around here. In fact, nobody really knew much about that motor until I used it to power my XXX and won the stock oval class with a field of 15 racers. Yep, I beat out all the "T" motors and even had an uninformed racer request that my motor be teched because "He's not using a stock motor, I've never seen one of those before" (that really happened). I run an MVP in my XXX-S and my 3 pit mates run MVP's in their cars as well.

As much as I want to try this new stock motor, I'm not going to stop racing to wait for it. I'll keep running MVP's until the new one's on the shelves :) I might even run the MVP to defend stock oval next summer if anybody is running this new motor......just to see.

I've dealt with Trinity twice, both times was for parts for my Switchblade. Seems the distributors were telling my LHS that parts for the 2002 Spashet were discontinued!! So I called them direct and ordered from them with no problems.

jeffie86-96
01-04-2003, 03:01 AM
I would order me one of them there new motors, "just in case";)

OutDrive
01-04-2003, 08:01 AM
Hey, I was just trying to set the record straight!

Further, in case they do come to read this thread, I want to point out that I never "bashed Trinity". Heck, I even soldered in my Green Machine 3 for the race today. I'm back on the big track and I want the RPM's. All I am saying is I tried to buy a Trinity product, could not get my questions answered, so I went elsewhere. If that is a hint of their business plan, well, I am not buying.

I tend to listen to most people's opinions and do not form a rebuttle just because it isn't how I do it or what I think. But, when someone mentions something that is just plain wrong, I will comment.

Well, there goes my future factory ride. ;)

Take care...

derekjr_1
01-04-2003, 11:46 AM
Outdrive > Your future factory ride? You not going to post anymore? Why not, it is great having you around!

Big Jim
01-04-2003, 03:11 PM
I agree with derek, OD,

I find your comments quite astute. Besides, you don't really want a ride from the Big T. You may not realize that now but it's true.

Big Jim
01-04-2003, 03:49 PM
Hi GB,

Yeah, you're right. I don't know where your quote came from but Mike told me a week ago that MVP sales have never been better. I guess as more and more peole get fed up with the alternatives as well as discovering how to make this motor run by reading my book, the more word gets around how good this motor really is. Having magnets that never need zapping certain helps sales.

Sorta feel sorry for the guys selling $500 zappers though because these mags are the wave of the future, at least in all Reedy motors.

Gutter Ball
01-04-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Big Jim
Yeah, you're right. I don't know where your quote came from but Mike told me a week ago that MVP sales have never been better.
It wasn't a quote, it was based on stats from the LHS owner :cool: According to him, since June 2002, he's sold more MVP's (Reedy's and Fantom's) than all other stock motors combined. However, people are wanting to try the new Monster Stock so it's cutting into the overall share a bit.....

denntec
01-04-2003, 06:05 PM
Please post a link that work's to your web site the one I have just spam's me to death and say's web site not responding !?:confused: :eek: THANK's my Black Book is on da way now:D

derekjr_1
01-04-2003, 06:34 PM
http://www.bigjimracing.com

There you go even though I am NOT BJ!

OutDrive
01-04-2003, 06:59 PM
lol Derek, no, I am not going anywhere! We had a race today so I haven't been around.

I did check the other forum, and after I straightened out who was who (lol, I am lost...someone will post a reply, then, someone else will say I didn't reply to the right person. Then, someone else signs his personal name, and I reply to that name, and someone else says he isn't who he said he was. Go figure). Anyway, there isn't any more false statements being made, so my work there is through ;)

Take care...

derekjr_1
01-04-2003, 07:16 PM
Ohh ok cool. I though you were really not going to post anymore. I really like your help and posts, and BJ does too.

Well off to the track now, but not to race. That wont be til NEXT wed. Gotta get some parts, etc.

Take care... (as outdrive puts it!)

Big Jim
01-05-2003, 12:20 AM
yeah,OD,

Sort of makes you thankful for a well run forum. Believe-it-or-not, TT has over 11 moderators there. And not a brain or a decent volcabulary among them, well, maybe Joel. Still, 11-1 x 0 = 0. Haha.

Sorry, GB, I saw the word "quote" above the bold part of your post so I just figured it was a quote.

hooked911
01-05-2003, 12:26 AM
hey guys go check out the big jim rebuttle thread at ttt.... its pretty good

OutDrive
01-05-2003, 12:28 AM
No kidding BJ...

I admit, I "looked around" while I was there. You never know when or what you might read something useful. But I was really surprised at all the trash talk in nearly every thread. Several "Rookies" (members with one post) had asked questions, some of them pretty reasonable. They poor guys were trashed from the first reply. Pretty sad. I never did see any technical information, unless comments suggesting to drop two teeth on a Monster are useful. Most posts were one to two sentences long.

Oh well, it was fun, but now I'm done!

Big Jim
01-05-2003, 02:02 AM
If there anything interesting you all find on other r/c sites, post the URL to save us all time. Thanks.

jeffie86-96
01-05-2003, 03:00 AM
I tried to get onto the Trinity site but it is down or something,maybe it will be back up after we settle down "or something":rolleyes:

derekjr_1
01-05-2003, 01:05 PM
The trinity site constatnly is down. It will work later, they need some guys who can manage that server!

Big Jim
01-05-2003, 03:38 PM
(This post was originally posted by mortaine on the Reedy Motors topic. I'm moving it here because it is Commentary and a very perceptive post that applies to EVERYONE! If you don't like what I say anywhere on this forum and feel like slamming me, just go away or post it here on Commentary. If you disagree (which is definitely OK) post it and explain your reasoning but keep it on-topic to that particular post. Hey, what other r/c forum LET'S you slam the moderators or anything in r/c without fear of deletion? But compliments are encouraged here as well. Leave a piece of your mind here. Remember, the rccars.com forum will be the basis of Black Book III and you just might end up in it!)

Freak
I think he is trying to tell you in a nice way, he puts you in the same category as trinity, he does not like either of you. You say you don't knock , yet myself and others including Jim think you knock anything that is contrary to your way of thinking. your comments and attempts to ride on Jim's coattail is obtrusive. This forum is ask jim, and if you do and he gives the answer you want to hear its ok, but if its not what you want to hear you want to argue. If you don't agree with his answer then go on your merry way but please don't burden us with your rebuttals we do not visit here to hear your answers, we visit here to hear what JIM has to say after all the forum is ask Big Jim about motors or what ever not ask the TXFreak Have a happy New Year

MORTAINE

Big Jim
01-05-2003, 06:14 PM
All you racing fans will love this. Yeah OK, it's not r/c related but in good taste and we all love NASCAR right? This joke is so funny and so typical.

SuperSpeed
01-05-2003, 11:11 PM
I notice a lot of things such as motors, batteries, accessories are similar between Orion and Peak. Also, Jim have you look at the corally handwound mods? I saw one a few years ago, the winding is super neat :)

derekjr_1
01-05-2003, 11:27 PM
That is TOO FUNNY BJ. Great comic!

Orion and Peak are the SAME company. Well not technically, they have DIFF names. That is about it! Its like Honda and Acura, or Ford and Mercury. Same companies diff names, TO A DEGREE!

Big Jim
01-05-2003, 11:34 PM
And their windings can't hold a candle to mine. I don't blow my horn often but I am the best r/c motor winder in the world, without any exaggeration. I can wind 100 production style arms in 4.5 hours. My record in winding one armature from the bare arm sitting in a board to a completely wound arm sitting back in that same board is 56 seconds.

All my armatures are layer-pattern wound regardless of the number of strands used. That means one layer on top of another, one wire at a time. And if you've never seen a quad or quint wind of mine where every wire on all three poles is exactly in the same place, you are missing a work of art. Nobody winds this way. Ask anyone who has one of my arms.

I am the best and you'll never hear me say that about myself about anything else I do.

OutDrive
01-05-2003, 11:50 PM
Post moved to here:

http://www.rccars.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=4746#post4746

Big Jim
01-05-2003, 11:55 PM
I promised no deletions here by me but you can edit your own posts. This isn't the topic for questions. But to answer while I'm here, it depends on the size wire you are using, the blank style, the cleaness of the Hysol (that green stuff) as well as it's thickness over the steel.

Luckyman4
01-06-2003, 10:22 AM
My record in winding one armature from the bare arm sitting in a board to a completely wound arm sitting back in that same board is 56 seconds.

:eek: OMG! Jim, I've been impressed with your advice for some time now, and especially with the stock motors you rebuilt for me, but 56 Seconds!?! Holy cow, Jim, that just floors me! I'd love to see the "Super SloMo" replay of that, must be sorta like a Hummingbird on the Animal Channel--- "Only the magic of our super slow motion camera can capture the exceptional speed and grace of the California HummingWinder"!! ... still floors me, WOW! That must of been some "fun" night at the BJG motor works, lol. -John

:D

jeffie86-96
01-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Jim's secret to that record is, Very low turn motor of light guage wire. LOL.:D

Big Jim
01-06-2003, 02:22 PM
BTW....

That was a 12 turn double that I did in 56 seconds. Since I was working for Maxtec at the time, it wasn't layer-patterned the way I do things now, however.

XXXS_FREAK
01-06-2003, 03:44 PM
To All:

The point I have been trying to make in other threads is that an "Industry Expert" and "Professional" like Big Jim, should not be bashing, trashing, and bad-mouthing anyone’s products. No matter what the reasons were for your leaving Trinity's employment or what insights you have into the inner workings of the company. It is just plain unprofessional and makes you look bad Big Jim.

Another thing to think about is that many newcomers to our sport come here to find information, and most info they get is tainted in respect to Trinity.

Paradigm's owner and the webmaster of this site (Brandon) would never do such a thing; he still sells tweaked Epic (Trinity) based motors.

Many of the racers here in this forum do run many different manufacturers motors, each has their strengths and weaknesses. I run Reedy, Trinity, Peak/Orion, and Integy motors...and once tuned using Big Jims secrets each performed better than it did out of the box! Some are better than others for certain tracks and conditions, so I am not bashing Big Jim or anyone. Matter of fact; if it werent for Big Jims tips I could not have properly tuned any of my motors. I am not anti Big Jim as some of you think! Both Yin and Yang are necessary in life!

Just getting this off my chest and out here for your opinions.

derekjr_1
01-06-2003, 04:02 PM
Well I think it is FAIR for people to BASH peoples products. Isnt that called OPINION in this country? I could have sworn that was. What is the point of having an opinion if we cant voice it. That is was BJ does, same as me. If I dont like a product I tell people I DONT like it!

BJ seems to do the same. If he doesnt like TRINITY for whatever reasons, he shares it will us and then it is our own opinion that lets us beilive or not.

I personally like when people SAY they dont like a product. Not everyone should like the same thing! Each company has stuff I like and stuff I dont.

For instance, I cant STAND Orion Bones battery bars. I personally think they SUCk! Yet I run orion/peak motors and think they are GREAT! See what I mean. I just BASHED (as some call it) Orion on there battery bars, but then I run their motors.

ALL OPINION!

DavidAlford
01-06-2003, 05:24 PM
yeah,OD,

Sort of makes you thankful for a well run forum. Believe-it-or-not, TT has over 11 moderators there. And not a brain or a decent volcabulary among them, well, maybe Joel. Still, 11-1 x 0 = 0. Haha.

Sorry, GB, I saw the word "quote" above the bold part of your post so I just figured it was a quote.

Whatever dude, way to be childish......

XXXS_FREAK
01-06-2003, 05:27 PM
derekjr:

I agree with you on the fact that we each have our own opinions. And, that we need to be able to voice them in a forum such as this. Thank God for the USA!

One big difference between us, and Jim... you and I are unable to delete postings; and thus censor. BUT... I must commend Jim on this new thread, because he states: As long as you keep it clean and in good taste for racers and enthusiasts of all ages, nothing will be deleted here.

Also, you and I are not former employees of a company that we dislike openly. I just cannot imagine that anyone who has been laid off, fired, or both; from any company could be truly objective in regards to that company afterwards. So, I guess when it comes to his opinions on T's products; I question the objectivity of his statements.

I feel also that as the industry expert and moderator of this forum, he holds a certain responsibility to those that are new to our sport. That responsibility being; to give them information in a manner which is undistorted by emotion or personal bias.

I hope that better explains where I am coming from. I am not trying to be a dick, or be disruptive, I honestly love Big Jims tips and tuning secrets!

...and I do not disagree with you about Bones batt bars!!!

denntec
01-06-2003, 06:15 PM
You know what nobody is here to please you or meet your exspectation's of who and what the should be and or be or not be doing !!!! I know the only person I live up to is ME!!!!! and if somebody doesn't like it tough !!!! go somewhere else to whine and preach how someone should or should not conduct themself's on their own forum !!!! you must have a miserable life if you are able to spend so much time peaching to everyone !!!! my 2 cent's !!! denntec/aka/idoxlr8b3/aka/Dennis Stafford/////////////////////////// My blood presure is fine ! just calling it as I see it !!!!! LOL///////////////////////////// "O" I had to knock him off the pulpit before I could stand on it LOL MR.Antagonism !!!:D LOL///////////////////

denntec
01-06-2003, 06:21 PM
We all want to see the masterpiece hand wound arm's ! :D

derekjr_1
01-06-2003, 06:59 PM
XXXS > Ok. I totally see where you are coming from now! It makes sense and I never thought of that.

It is good that BJ wont delete posts here. This is the BEST forum ever!

denntec > Chill... Like XXXS says he likes Jims tips and tricks, but NOT the bashing of big T. No need to get SO personal! That is what this forum is for. To whine and preach! LOL

XXXS_FREAK
01-06-2003, 07:11 PM
Dennis:

Dude, chill out!!! Take you blood pressure medication before you have a cranial blow out!

First off... it is Brandons website & forum, not Big Jims...he is the moderator of this forum, not the owner.

I am an advocate of our sport and, as such, would like to see more people involved. Wouldn't you? If so, I think you would see my point.

...And (stepping down from pulpit) thank you for asking, my life is far from miserable!

My 3 cents + your 2 = $.05!

Big Jim
01-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Well, all was going good until "Mr. Antagonism" decided to post. But still all is good. This is the right place for those types of people. I'm surprised it took you this long XXXS! Been on vacation? Sorry you don't appreciate my "tell-it-like-it-is style or the inside and seldom seen knowledge I pass on to others.

BUT THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!

And I'm free.

Yeah, Denn, maybe someday when I have time to do that sort of thng but I really see no purpose in it. Just my opinion.

BTW, I'll put a BJ Tuned MVP up against any stock motor made as many of my customers have. Well, not the new Reedy motor but every other turkey.

Fred B
01-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Ya know, it's funny, if someone says that they don't like a product, they're bashing the entire company. Get real guys.

Every company has it's high and low points. Even Reedy and Associated.

So, BJ doesn't like Ernie or his business practices, that's his opinion. Nothing more...

Personally, I think the MVP is a dog...that's just my opinion. I've won with MVP's but I have other motors that are faster.

David Root
01-07-2003, 09:11 PM
I have read some real deragtory comments about Mechanics at dealerships. I am a Mech and have been for well over 20 years. These tests you guys are talking about to get certified cost HUNDREDS of dollars just to take. They are very technical and updated every year. I know of one Vette Mechanic, he works at a dealership. Big Jim would be lucky to have him work on his car. This is all he does is work on Vettes. Nothing but the best.

I own an ocilliscope so I can work on these new cars or trucks. It cost me $2500. Its mine, I paid for it. I also have a Scanner that only costs $1500 and a measely $500 a year to update it. This are just two tools to keep up with the times. I know how to use them well.

I took the ASE certification tests a long time ago, they are very specific. Only people that know what they are doing AND have expierence will pass them. Most can not pass ALL of them. These tests must be updated every 3 years so you had better keep up on the training. I saw nothing about basket weaving.

Thanks Big Jim for the space to rant!

David Root

hooked911
01-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Just view the pic for my .02 cents...........

hooked911
01-07-2003, 11:49 PM
Just view the pic for my .02 cents...........

Big Jim
01-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Haha.

That pic is going in my files. Too cool, (although not politically correct for these days). Thanks hooked and you're right. If I could find your friend, I would be SOOOOO happy.

jeffie86-96
01-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Mr Root to quantify my remarks , I have seen first hand what I mentioned. I happen to have an Applied Science Degree in Diesel Mechanics. I have worked for 3 dealerships. Yes the cost of maintaining a vehicle is staggering but that is due to the complexity and lack of "proper" engineering.

Cosmos
01-08-2003, 12:37 AM
Big Jim -

A few folks have mentioned how negative opinions expressed here might affect newcomers to RC racing. Well, I am a newcomer, and I appreciate the unbelievable amount of information I have picked up from you this week. The information here has chopped months from my learning curve.

I have visited several different RC forums asking questions, gathering info, reviewing products, etc..., and by far the best, most easily accessible and applicable information is posted right here in this forum and I want to thank you for that. I've been reading thread after thread for two solid days and I am starting to get a pretty good understanding of the lingo and basics behind RC cars.

I am taking my time setting up my bench, buying tools, and figuring out exactly what products I plan to invest in. And, based upon the info I have found here, I will stay away from Trinity products for a very simple reason: Although I do not have the experience to question the quality of their products, I am smart enough to follow the path of those who have gone before me.

To illustrate my point, I thought you might find this story amusing:

A cityslicker walked into a blacksmith shop and was facinated to see an aged blacksmith actually making horse shoes by hand. He marvelled at the man's skill as he heated the iron bars red hot and pounded them into shape before cooling them in a barrell of water.

As the visitor walked over to the barrell and looked in at the cooling shoes, the blacksmith said, "Be careful. Even though they quit hissin', them shoes is still hot".

But as soon as the old man turned around, the city boy reached down in the water to pick up one of the shoes figuring the water had cooled them enough to handle. But with a quick yelp, he dropped the hot horse shoe and stepped back, shaking his blistered fingers.

Hearing the splashing water, the old man looked around and asked, "What's wrong? Did you go ahead and burn yoursef after I told you they was still hot?" To which the visitor answered, "No sir, it just doesn't take me very long to look at a horse shoe, that's all."

The moral of that story is that I don't want to get burned the first time I need customer sevice, so I am going to listen to blacksmiths like you until I know more about what the heck I am doing. Far from scaring off a newcomer, or making the sport look bad, you and the other forum members alerted me to a potential problem that I want to avoid until I have the experience to decide for myself.

By the way, thanks for the great tip on the soldering iron in the other thread. I've been trying to decide on a soldering iron for two days, and you just saved me about $40. I'm thinkin that means extra batteries...

Cosmos

Big Jim
01-08-2003, 12:41 AM
$70 an hour for someone to learn how to spell Corvette doesn't help either!

Big Jim
01-08-2003, 12:46 AM
Thanks, Cosmos

Yes, you are correct. Useful information isn't always positive in nature. Telling the bad stuff, as long as it's truthful, can't be a bad thing for newbies. You'd like to know what r/c junk to stay away from and what's the killer deal wouldn't you? Most would.

The only people who fear the truth are the people who would deceive you.

I swear on my father's grave that I have never told a lie here on my forum nor even exaggerated the truth. Everything you read here said by me is either a stone fact or a fact as I perceive it to be.

XXXS_FREAK
01-08-2003, 01:07 AM
Cosmos:

That is totally cool with me and the others here who had good luck with Trinity's stuff. I have won races using Trinity, Reedy, Orion, and Integy motors. I feel that when properly maintained, tuned, geared, and of course driven; any manufacturers motor can beat any others.

According to Big Jim all that may change with the release of the new "revolutionary" motors coming out from Reedy sometime in the not too distant future.

Big Jim
01-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Well...truthfully....

I HAVE WON RACES WITH TRINITY MOTORS. It doesn't change the way things are.

heftybone
01-08-2003, 11:25 AM
Big Jim,

You have an agenda and you use these message boards to push it on the racers. You may not have started out using Interent messaging for this reason, but it's become the norm lately. Luckily, you have very usefull information mixed in with the "cheerleading" you do for the companies you currently work for.

Scrubb
01-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Its intresting how many people get mad at BJ for saying that Reedy/AE is a great company to deal with and trinity is a much worse company to deal with. Nobody seems to think about how many world championships Reedy/AE has won compared to all the other companies. Nobody seems to see the bashing of other companies and the misleading information in all the trinity ads in the magazines. Nobody seems to notice AE dosen't bash other companies --- ever, not in their ads, not on their website, and not from their employees. Although trinity might have a few decent products in thier product line, and they have bought a few of their pro drivers (who most started with AE), overall they are a much worse company to deal with. For all you guys that have a good trinity motor or battery thats great, but what happens when you get a bad one? I know if i get a bad Reedy/AE product mine will be replaced for free, including shipping:D

Big Jim
01-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Well, Hefty

Yes, I do have an "agenda" (spelled correctly). My agenda is to promote the sport/hobby of r/c racing and to help my fellow racing enthusiasts with the 36 years of motor building info and knowledge I have amassed in my 55 (soon) year-old brain.

Not only does helping people let one know what being human is all about and give a lust for life regardless of monetary worth but leaves a legacy that says, "Hey, I was alive on this earth", many years after one's gone.

What's REALLY funny is, I have lots of good things to say about Integy, Peak Performance, Todd Putnam, BRP and many, many others and I don't work for them. Even Jim Dieter who is my very good friend works at the top of the Big T food chain and he is one of the best there is at what he does. He could easily do everything I do here, if he had the time. Thing is, I make the time, to help YOU for no monetary compensation what-so-ever!

You are right, Heftbone, you found me out. I guess I'm guilty.

Good words, Scrubb.

Fred B
01-09-2003, 11:39 AM
It's pretty easy to judge what people do from the outside looking in. None of us know the entire story of what goes on inside Trinity (or any other company) until we've worked there or at least in the industry. BJ has seen Trinity from the inside (even if it's a dated view) so he has some inside knowledge to base his opinions on. The rest of us don't. Some just deal with it and some (many of them don't like Trinity) seem to defend them to the death like Ernie is Elvis or something.

What I do know is that Trinity makes some really good products, and some really well, not good ones. Same thing with Reedy (last I knew you could still get those "clipper" brushes for instance). The differance is that one company has an "it's all good" attitude and one doesn't push the old or bad product.

In my industry, we kow what the better product is. We've tested them. Odly enough another company's product sells more because it is perceived to be a better product. A good advertising campeign can make a "just ok" product into the greatest thing since sliced bread.

slamdaddy
01-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Since BJ said that anyone from Trinity could post here , i figured i would take him up on it.
So now Trinity can have a voice of reason in this forum.
John

Nanook
01-09-2003, 01:34 PM
Fred,

A good example of what you're saying is Microsoft Window.

Big Jim
01-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Hi slam,

That's because I don't fear the truth on my forum and I have said it. And lies are so easy to defend against. Try that on TT. Hell, Brandon was even deleted there just because he knows me.
Plus there's nobody at Trinity anymore who can really articulate with any sort of journalistic skill, save maybe Joel. But he has enough bashing on his own forum to worry about. But he obviously doesn't worry about it too much because there's plenty of it there on almost every topic. Sad really.

Trinity has always and will always have more say here on my forum than I will ever have on TT.

But if you're going to say something in your post, well, say something! I expected more from someone with a login of "slamdaddy". As long as it's "G" rated and r/c related, take your best shot.

slamdaddy
01-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Look BJ,
I posted on your forum without insulting you or looking for trouble.
As expecting more from someone named "Slamdaddy", I got that name from my local track and the only reason i use it on your forum and the other 7 that i chat on is so anyone that races with me, knows when i'm logged on. I will respect your forum.
John
AKA
Slamdaddy

Big Jim
01-09-2003, 05:05 PM
Well, it's not that we haven't tangled before. Sorry, but my memory isn't that bad. I don't recall saying anything BAD about you. Don't be so thin-skinned. The is Commentary. If I'm confusing you with someone (don't think so) I apologize.

SuperSpeed
01-09-2003, 11:46 PM
Hi Jim,

How about a picture of that perfect winding :) I'm dying to see it. Gosh, this must be years ago. I recall I made a remark about Big T's product quality on TT, it was bashed and deleted quickly afterward. And that was the last time I even read anything on TT. I emailed the Administrator to remove my username and info, wow that was around '98 I think.

Anyway, do you recall that HPI used to sell handwound and machine would mod motor, were they from Yokomo? Also, I'm looking at the Team sorex USA page right now, the company also sells Team Luna TRP Mods. This is quoted from their site " Bottom line, if you would think to have a personal motor from the master winder of a Jim Dieter or Mike Reedy, this is the motor for you. Mr. Ishzuka is the master motor winder in Japan." Do you know this guy? :)

SuperSpeed

Big Jim
01-09-2003, 11:58 PM
Hi SS,

Maybe I'll post a pic someday but I'm so busy just trying to pay my rent on time and do my forums and fix my 'Vette and keep my PC running, I have little time. How''s that for a run-on sentence describing my run-away life, haha.

Somebody has some signals crossed about that last part of your post. Mike Reedy says he hasn't wound an armature in 20 years and Dieter admits his winding looks like crap, although I haven't seen any examples myself.

Rick Hohwart (Peak/Orion) is an excellent winder as well as Derek Furtani (from Maxtec but winds for an independent now). I'd say between these guys and myself, that pretty much represents the top three in the world.

By your post, it sounds like yet another example of someone who should be listening instead of talking.

Team Sore what?

XXXS_FREAK
01-10-2003, 01:07 AM
SS:

BJ seems a little edgy tonight, eh?
:p

Hi SS,

...By your post, it sounds like yet another example of someone who should be listening instead of talking.

Team Sore what?

Big Jim
01-10-2003, 01:10 AM
I wasn't referring to SS. But that Asian fellow. You should really see Evelyn Wood.

Matt Howard
01-10-2003, 10:58 AM
wow, bashing on something you've never heard of before. Check out www.teamsorexusa.com they're the importer of the Luna motors wound by Mr. Ishizuka. the motors are Ti based and IMHO these are the best motors that are sold "over the counter"

jmo
01-10-2003, 12:16 PM
I have run just about every over the counter motore there is and have been sponsored buy GM and Banzai. IMHO the Luna motors run better than anything I have ever run. Also, if you don't know what Sorex is, when was the last time you ran onroad with a rubber tire? If it wasn't a Sorex you were off the pace.

heftybone
01-10-2003, 01:50 PM
The Sorex story is one that proves companies have to dilligently stay on top, or get out of the way. I started running on-road when Sorex tires first hit town, so that's all I've ever known. Then, a couple of months later, I asked the shop attendant why they were putting the Yokomo 138G's on sale and why they had so darn many. He said that the Yokomo's used to be the tire of choice, but no more, and they got caught with the last huge shipment.

It's like the Losi Alpha body. BAM! No one drives Dodges at the track anymore. Even the AE racers are starting to run an Alpha body (Protoforms). New things hit the track all the time, but the ones that show the most benefit to the racers are the ones that stick around the longest. At least until the "next great thing" shows up. That's why I'm not afraid to try new things out and I think R/C companies should do the same.

I don't think Big Jim has raced in quite a while. Neither has Mike Reedy, but I see Mike at the track almost every Saturday, checking things out in the racers' pit area. By contrast, I've only met Big Jim once at the track, and that's when he discovered how much he dislikes me. Just an observation...

Big Jim
01-10-2003, 02:17 PM
Hi HB and jmo,

Sorry, just not a tire man. Never have been. I'm a motor man. Any questions?

I do know that a Sorex motor (or Luna, whatever) has never won a major race that I know of and Mike Reedy doesn't wind armatures anymore. The post is what I commented on and not the worth or no worth of Sorex. I just want my readers to have the correct info.

And as usual, I am correct on what I said. And I don't "bash" anybody. You guys must be reading TT too much. I've said this may times.

BASHING is saying = "X company's products suck!"

NOT BASHING is saying = "X company's tires don't work for me and they didn't answer my emails".

The former serves no useful purpose what-so-ever and just projects negativity towards our sport. The later is one person stating his experience that can be used by others as a caution when dealing with that company. Since a caution like that COULD save another person money and aggravation, I view it as constructive, as most of my comments are. Sometimes I get a little carried away on this topic but that's why they call it "Commentary". I hope I don't have to post the meaning of that word too.

If any of you have any questions about this, see the #1 topic on the main board called, "Forum Rules". This is something everyone should have read before posting here.

Matt Howard
01-10-2003, 04:26 PM
Have fun in your own little "I'm always right" world, I won't be visiting this forum anymore (and no, I'm not going to TT either)

Big Jim
01-10-2003, 04:52 PM
Well, I'm not always right but I have few readers (OK, none) who have the experience or knowledge to contradict me. If anyone out there has more experience at this stuff than I do that has a contractory opinion, let me know, I'll listen.

But I won't hold my breath.

Basically, I may be mistaken sometimes but I never lie because I have, what's that word, oh yeah, INTEGRITY.

Something that is in short supply with people who hide behind a user name with no contact info in their profile. But the funnel's on my end. Your loss!

STLNLST
01-10-2003, 06:36 PM
Hi HB and jmo,

Sorry, just not a tire man. Never have been. I'm a motor man. Any questions?

I do know that a Sorex motor (or Luna, whatever) has never won a major race that I know of and Mike Reedy doesn't wind armatures anymore. The post is what I commented on and not the worth or no worth of Sorex. I just want my readers to have the correct info.

And as usual, I am correct on what I said. And I don't "bash" anybody. You guys must be reading TT too much. I've said this may times.

BASHING is saying = "X company's products suck!"

NOT BASHING is saying = "X company's tires don't work for me and they didn't answer my emails".

The former serves no useful purpose what-so-ever and just projects negativity towards our sport. The later is one person stating his experience that can be used by others as a caution when dealing with that company. Since a caution like that COULD save another person money and aggravation, I view it as constructive, as most of my comments are. Sometimes I get a little carried away on this topic but that's why they call it "Commentary". I hope I don't have to post the meaning of that word too.

If any of you have any questions about this, see the #1 topic on the main board called, "Forum Rules". This is something everyone should have read before posting here.

that's funny because when I voiced my opinion about what works for me (stock motor wise) you started name calling and bashing me. This is your message board and I respect that so once I'm banned after this post......Have a nice day!

harshguy1
01-10-2003, 06:41 PM
BJ - Wow dude, I didn't even know about this board till someone told me about it. Way to "walk that fine line" between flaming people and "abiding by the rules"

Big Jim
01-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Hi STl..whatever

Why would I ban you? I don't care what you say here on this topic. Guess you didn't read the rules to this commentary. NOBODY GETS DELETED as long as your post is "G" rated and it's about r/c racing. Guess also you didn't read my definition of bashing (which you quoted). I never bash. And what do tires have to do with motors. Sorry you're just too "out-there" for me today. I would never "bash" anyone stating there opinion about what motors work for them. You must have me confused with someone on HobbyTalk.

You never find a topic like this on TT, obviously one of your fav places.

derekjr_1
01-10-2003, 08:22 PM
I am curious what tires have to do with motors as well, and why the heck would you quote something that you didnt OBVIOUSLY read? That is so lame!

STLNLST
01-10-2003, 09:59 PM
so now you deny coming on to hobbytalk and bashing? I didn't read your rules of this board as it's just like TT to me. Either I agree or it's the highway. Before Hank removed the thread in question you boldly stated that if this was your board most would be deleted. Anyone that didn't agree with you was flamed or wrong. I would love to get a non flaming answer to what time is it? Could you handle that? But hey just like before I'm wrong right?? Enjoy and I wish you well in the future.

STLNLST
01-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by derekjr_1
I am curious what tires have to do with motors as well, and why the heck would you quote something that you didnt OBVIOUSLY read? That is so lame!

maybe the next time I'll edit the quote to just THE BASHING part that I was refering to that I also mentioned in my reply that was located at the end of the post that wasn't read so you would have a clue as to what I was refering to. If this is still LAME to you I can break it down even more:cool:

Big Jim
01-11-2003, 01:09 AM
Hi STL...something,

Sorry I don't recognize your version of bashing. I bash no one. Nor do I have any idea of what you are talking about. Break it down for me as well. But I don't expect you to have the vocabulary I do or the journalistic skill but use small words.

STLNLST
01-11-2003, 02:43 AM
nope....you're still the same guy. Everyone is beneath you. I'z take my self back to my paw since I'z not fit to be in yo company....wit my lack of knowledge and all. Looking forward to getting beat with one of your motors.....lol

jmo
01-11-2003, 03:54 AM
I would like to know how two people opinion on motors turns in this big sloppy mess. All that was stated was two people said that in there opioions, the Luna motors were the best that they had run. Then people get bent out of shape and someone (BJ?) even e-mails Banzai, telling them that I am bashing there products. On the contrary. why would I compare something I thought was good to something that I thought was bad. I wouldn't. You only compare things to something everyone else would think of as good, so that they can see how good you think the other product is (probably some bad english in there). Haven't you ever seen a Toyota or Honda commercial comparing them to the competition? Basically the same thing, don't you think? Everyone need to calm down a little and maybe respect other peoples opinions.

Big Jim
01-11-2003, 05:53 AM
WAIT...WAIT...WAIT...

Who is the hell is Banzai and why would anybody email them? This is getting out of hand here. This topic was designed to give a place for people to air their feelings and opinions. Not spread lies and half truths....

COMMON PEOPLE! THIS IS TOY CARS! Not an episode of the X-Files on Government Conspiracies!

Will the paranoids go home, the BS'ers go to TT, the illiterates use spell checker, the cry babies grow up and the little squids trying to be a big fish in a little pond, well, this pond is too big for you.

The idea that I would purposely email a person or company just to belittle or degrade some other company or individual is absolutely ludicrous! I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO!

Maybe I'm starting to wonder why I give so much the way I do here. I set this topic up FOR YOU! NOT ME! This is proof that if you dangle enough rotten meat, the scavengers will eventually come. And further proof to that old adage of a few bad apples spoils the whole barrel.

Well, it won't work here. I still believe most r/c enthusiasts are good people, willing to help and perpetuate the sport/hobby of r/c racing. Notice those words "sport/hobby". Not "Big Business", not your livelihood that puts food on your table, not a medical bureaucracy deciding the fate of your invalid relative-JUST TOY CARS!

Some of you who post here (not all by any means) are dysfunctional human beings who should seek professional, psychiatric advice.

And no "I know you are but what am I?" stuff OK!
If some of you don't have the speech articulation to put up a good argument at least, don't show you ignorance by trying.

STL...whatever,

I think that's the first 100% truthful thing I've ever seen you post here. Except maybe the "everyone" part but definitely YOU!

SpeedWorld Raceway RC
01-11-2003, 07:05 AM
Hello to everyone, I hope you are enjoying one of the greatest hobbies in the world. Let's take a little fun to some things and things that are said, because not all people can write how they feel ,some times things do come out wrong but not how they are meant to and some things are taken wrong..Have fun,
life is to short. to get mad.
Big Jim, you have my respect on what you have done in this hobby. Alot of people do not know you and know what you have done for the hobby and for motor technology.. Big Jim, what I have read I will comment on, First SOREX tires are the numbxer 1 winningest tires in the world over the last two years . I can give you the greatest and best drivers names in the world that use them and have won major Nationals around the world. Yes, it is because the tire is a very good tire, But not because other tires are bad. The # 1 reason is credited to our customers. Thank you to all that have tried and use Sorex tires. Without customers, they would not win, period. Sorex has NO paid sponsors and they have made it to the top and are always winning. But nothing is forever so always be proud of what you have done and have acomplished, everybody.
2) Luna Motors, Ads are ads and they should back up what the manufactures, importers or what ever we truely believe in. Advertizing is everything, ask Ernie (Trinity) he is the master mind at that and that is why he is sucessful. The quote in my Team Luna ad that was brought up on this thread is very true. And that quote I wrote I believe in.. I have no paid sponsor drivers and the word is getting out on how good a Luna motors are. My quote is that I used is correct about those people I had mentioned in my ad, But, If I did not metion a Mike Reedy or the others, do you think racers would know Jon Jinglehimer Smith that is winding in the back, NO, you have been there. And you know what I am talking about. I know who winds, but not all other racers do.
LUNA FACT REPORT: First year in the U.S. There is a lot of racers in the r/c and very few Luna Motors, Right? 2002 SnowBirds 2 drivers in the A main in Factory Class Oval, not bad for over the counter motors, agree ? 2) you are right ,Luna as nerver won a U.S. National, BUT AGAIN, Luna TQ the ROAR 2002 Oval Nationals in Factory Class and the race went down to the third Triple A main to win the National Title only to finish 2ND to the GREAT one, Josh Cyrul. Those motors were over the counter motors. So, I think I can say in my ad that they are one of the best motors over the counter. Luna winds very very nice and with great balancing. We all will get a bad one that does not run, no one or machine is perfect.
NOT to start anything, I just had to put my 2cents in. Please nobody take this wrong what I am saying. I never been in a parade, so please do not -iss on it. LOL HAVE FUN Thanks Billy Bowerman

bigdan
01-11-2003, 07:19 AM
can't we all just get along?

As Jim said, I don't have time to look at all this crap going on.
I come here to make my motors RUN and I have been since coming here. Jim maybe this thread should go away because as you said it is just a big piece of rotten meat for some.
I am 36 years old and don't need to hear (or read) what some teenageers or 20 somethings have to say unless it is useful motor info that will work or not.

THIS THE CLOSEST I WILL COME TO BASHING
I use Reedy motors exclusively! I have had not so good luck with GM3's and it soured me on them. But "T" still makes some excellent products which I continue to use.

(CRUNCH)............sound of me smashing my soapbox.

OutDrive
01-11-2003, 07:51 AM
Hey guys,

I just came back from Texas. While I was there, the customer Project Engineer was expressing his frustration over the field installation crew he had hired to install my system. He mentioned that, no matter how many times he called them, they were late, forgot to bring all the tools, etc. they needed to install the equipment...on and on. He finally said...

"Ya' know, no matter how hard you try, you just can't baptize a cat."

I know I have R/C on the brain way too much, but his comment made me think of my experiences with Trinity! :o

Take care...

harshguy1
01-11-2003, 08:47 AM
BJ ...dang, the worlds greatest motorman, a flawless journalistic vocabulary and a psychoanalist to boot. You da man ...where does your skillset end!!

Big Jim
01-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Hi Billy,

Good to hear from. Please answer my emails about TRIBO sometimes please. Just wondering how you are doing with it since I set you with the company as a dealer.

I have already admitted to not knowing about tires so no explanation of Sorex was necessary. I'm just a po' ol' motor man. You could have mentioned BIG JIM instead of Mike Reedy or Dieter. At least I WIND arms, haha.

I never said Luna motors weren't good. I don't know. I just stated a fact. Mike Reedy did tell me one time that if he sold every oval racer in the country one motor, the profit wouldn't get his car waxed. FWIW.

I hear you have an excellent facility, Billy and I hear nothing but good things about you and what you are doing. Keep up the good work, my old friend.

Big Jim
01-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Thanks Harshguy, (unless there was some sarcasm in there somewhere, haha)

My shortcomings are not having enough patience for the people who could use a little extra consideration here at times. I'm sometimes a little too quick on the draw, so to speak. Yes, I do have that ego that drives me but I don't consider that a handicap.

Gutter Ball
01-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Mike Reedy did tell me one time that if he sold every oval racer in the country one motor, the profit wouldn't get his car waxed. FWIW.

I agree with that statement. I've seen the cost that our LHS pays for motors. I can't say how much it is...but I will say that if he's paying that little from the distributor...I can imagine how little the distributor pays the manufacturer.

Big Jim
01-11-2003, 02:51 PM
Hi GB,

I think the purpose of Mike's statement was to tell me metaphorically that oval is too small a class to worry about making a special motor for them. This is why the development work on the new Reedy 19T Spec Mod has virtually stagnated to a halt.
That motor is REALLY fast BTW, with the Kr modifications and the special trick arm the design team made for it.

Big Jim
01-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Interesting to note....

I was thinking about deleting this entire topic last night but later today I looked at when I started this commentary topic and noticed it is getting over 280 views a day! By far, the single most read topic on the board. I guess I be a fool to delete this most popular topic.

mortaine
01-11-2003, 10:37 PM
How hard can it be to machine wind a 19 turn armature and put it in a MVP can?? It could not be any worse then our present option offered by Trinity. As a matter of fact the Trinity 19 runs very well in a Reedy can. We don't need the greatest thing since sliced bread just something decent so we have the option of Reedy or Trinity. It would also make a good fill in while we are waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting for the implied new world beater.

Big Jim
01-11-2003, 11:07 PM
Hi Mort,

IMO, Reedy already has a 19t spec capable of beating the Cameleon II. I'm talking something REALLY good.

mortaine
01-11-2003, 11:31 PM
Yes I have seen pictures but never found one, I ordered a 19 turn Reedy spec from tower but according to their info the timing is adjustable. I'll wait and see but I doubt the magnets will be up to the quallity of the ones used in the Ti or MVP. Tell Mike to build a fire under the Japanese I am fast running out of my favorite Peak Spitfire motors. Yes I know I can run a MVP but compared to the spit they are labor intensive. With the spit you just adjust the hoods, add 767's, Tribo, ice and throw a 30 tooth pinion on and its FAST.
Thanks Jim

denntec
01-12-2003, 12:29 AM
My last post is buried back there some where ! LOL I though I was given the Mr. antagonistic title !!! LOL/////////////// denntec LOL i looked it up and still spelled it rong !!! LOL

Big Jim
01-12-2003, 12:50 AM
ag·nos·tic ( ²g-n¼s“t¹k) n.
1. One who believes that there can be no proof of the existence of God but does not deny the possibility that God exists. adj.

Haha. I don't think that was the word you were looking for, denny. I think you meant antagonistic. But the title of "Mr. Antagonistic" is already taken by you-know-who.

And it just doesn't seem to be "you" either (that's a compliment).

RogueRacing
01-12-2003, 01:49 AM
I think some people just gotta relax a little bit. It's a hobby have fun with it! Besides stress isn't good for your health. Jim has been a great help to us and he is entitled to his opinions just as anyone else is. Try focusing your energy on your driving and stop yelling at people for thier opinions. Trinity does make some good products yes but they are more money oriented than AE. I learned one thing from a fellow vetran racer, quote,"I run what ever is faster, i don't care what brand it is" that's how it should be. run whatever works for you. Save it for the track would ya!

Big Jim
01-12-2003, 02:45 AM
Hi Mort,

About a year ago Reedy gave me some 19t Pulse-R Spec Mods to test. They had the notch for the locked timing. At the time, they had bushings in them still because that's the way the Japs sent them (screwed up again). He since has either replaced all the Pulse-R's bushings with bearings or gotten a new shipment.

I'm not 100% sure about what I just said. I few things are a bit fuzzy about the deal as I was so involved with the new stock at the time. (that and age, ha). The Team AE website should have more info. www.rc10.com.

Big Jim
01-12-2003, 05:15 AM
Trackside race in Milwaukee....

As some of you might remember, I predicted a walk-away by Team Reedy/AE. Well, seems so far, that's not happening. Of the top 5 qualifiers, Josh and Paul (Team Big T) are #1 and #2 in TC mod with Reedy/AE drivers holding down #3, 4 and #5 place on the grid.

In Factory Stock, it seems the new Reedy stock motor was not allowed to run. Paul and Josh have the #1 and #2 spots with the rest of the drivers unknown to me.

I guess my very good friend, Jim Dieter had quite a fire built under him from not winning a major race in over a year. This hot seat was either self-imposed by his strong desire to do well or was non-elective and imposed by the head whip-cracker of Team Purple, Ernie himself. But the Big T has TQ'd races in the last year before and fizzled in the A's, leaving Team Reedy/AE to take home the gold or color plastic and wood in our case.

Tomorrow is "put up or shut" day so we will see the outcome then. If you want to keep track of the happenings, go to www.trackside.com.

Reedy mentioned before he left that this coming race in Milwaukee was a "kick back" race with no pressure. Maybe his pop-off valve was a little "too" loose while Dieter's was cranked down as tight as it would go. But Mike has a way of dialing up the boost when the pressure's on. We shall see.

heftybone
01-12-2003, 05:17 AM
Big Jim,

You can't get rid of this thread. Well you can, but you would lose face in light of some of your statements, like:

"I make a challenge to them to post here without reprisal or deletion. Is that fair? Yeah, try that on TT. "

Besides, this thread is a lot more entertaining, compared to your usual replies, where you pretty much point the reader to your Black Book anyway.

:Dhb

heftybone
01-12-2003, 05:33 AM
Big Jim,

Thanks for the update and the link to the website for more info. Ever since Orion did their World Championship coverage, I've become addicted to similar info on the web.

Thanks,

Big Jim
01-12-2003, 05:38 AM
Well, HB,

You have to admit, everything motorwse, DOES point to the Black Book. But a few fingers are now pointing to the new topics I created this weekend like the 10 most important tuning tips and the tips from my website.

I will agree also that deleting this topic would not be in the best interest of my readers as evidenced by the number of views per day. As for any high mucky-muck from the Big T, who cares. They don't dare post here less they be verbally drawn and quartered and not just by me. They do their dirty work covertly.

I do here what I feel is in the best interest of my readers and the hobby/sport of r/c racing. My "face" is not in contention.

XXXS_FREAK
01-12-2003, 01:11 PM
I decided to start a new "Popular" topic devoted to opinions and things I have to say as well as what you have to say. As long as you keep it clean and in good taste for racers and enthusiasts of all ages, nothing will be deleted here. I don't believe ANY other r/c forum affords a space like this.

THIS IS THE PLACE!

I decided to move this here and start this topic.

Big Jim says all this above...

Yet, he emails this to me personally:
From now on, ANY antagonistic, obnoxious or off-topic posting on your part will result in your post being immediately deleted. Just wanted you to know in case you saw you posts missing.

I assume he will delete this immediateley, but maybe he wont? I do not agree with everything he says, and sometimes differ with him, but according to his promise above he would not delete any posts from this thread. Let's see.

rchotrod
01-12-2003, 02:15 PM
xxx-s Do you go to these boards purposly looking to start trouble? I don't get to spend much time on these forums, but when I do, I am here to learn. About r/c.

Big Jim doesn't have to do these boards. He does them to help people that want to better our hobby.

I may not be the best at our track, but with Big JIm's help and others, I am starting to close the gap.

I am one who looks at all the products out and then decides which one to buy. I have been to TT and even had some posts there, but I had to quit going to TT just because of all the bitching and griping.

Big JIm had a good thing with Hobbytalk, until the bitching and the griping there got to be too much.

Now he has started over and has, what I believe, is the best souce for r/c info.

Sure you can test his word all you want, but he hasn't gotten where he is by puting out lies, or products that don't perform to his liking.

I don't have alot of money to spend in this hobby, and the more informed I am as to what is out, the better I can spend my money.

If you don't like what he has to say about something, so be it. But let him do what he does best. Build motors.

I'm not trying to put you or anyone else down, I am just tired of the constant BS that seems to always come from the same people.

I have had post deleted because they weren't on topic. The space needed to keep a forum like this running cost money, more space = more money. I kind of like not having to pay for this info. Big JIm doesn't have to give this info away. He does it to help out the r/c hobby. And that is all it is, a hobby.

Sorry to be so long, just had to let it out.
Rod

derekjr_1
01-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Ohh and XXXS > From your quote, that looks like BJ is referring to your others POSTS in other threads. That does not say this FORUM specifically, so what are you talking about, and where are you coming from? :confused:

bigdan
01-12-2003, 04:47 PM
RCHOTROD said everything that I think also.
I would also ad that XXXfreak should seek a happy place or professional help.

Big Jim
01-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Yes, XXXS,

That personal email was sent to you regarding your behavior on OTHER TOPICS. As long as it's r/c related (which your post was not. You're off topic as usual), and "G" rated. But truthful, stupidity should be obscene. I have every right to delete your post, even on this topic for violating this very liberal policy.

But you didn't slam me really. You just slammed yourself. Thanks for providing proof on how I've tried to work with you and give you chance after chance to straighten up. You should have also added that it was not the first email I sent you warning you about your dysfunctional behavior. Nor did I post all the emails I recieve about it from other readers here. Maybe I should post more than the one from Arthur. But other readers aren't interested in your babble or my babble about it.

Now if someday soon (if you persist with this off-topic, antagonistic, insulant behavior which insults me and the other forum members here) none of my regular readers will miss the contrabutions of XXXS or even your user name appearing on this board.

You know it's inevitable that someday I will have to ban you. Because where everyone else sees white and various shades of gray, you see a dark brown and are amazed why no one sees the world as you do.

Nanook
01-12-2003, 09:06 PM
XXXS,

Everybody has a good point and I agree with them too.
Jim and I have had our disputes in recent weeks. I come here to learn about tuning motors, NOT to hear you bitch and moan about what you think about what he has to say.
I'm an intelligent adult fully capable of making up my own mind about things. I don't allways agree with what Jim says is best, but I listen, ask questions, try things, report my experiences, and offer my oppinion.
I belive I can honestly say that EVERY post I've made to this forum and the HobbyTalk forum, which I also participate in, has been an attempt to help somebody in some way. Whether it was myself seeking knoledge and/or understanding of something, offering advise or ansering questions based on my experiences to others, or just trying to remind people that we are all here for the same purpose which is to share our knowledge and experience with others involved and to promote our great sport and hobby.

You would be much more appreciated if you would ask youself this one question before you post anything;

How will this post help sombody enjoy our sport more or improve their ability in our sport?

I have read many people post critisism's (don't think that's spelled right) of Jim and/or the way he does things. From what I've read, they have meet my criteria, listed above, to be a helpfull post. They're trying to help Jim.

With this post I'm trying to help you.

Mayhem
01-12-2003, 09:13 PM
The results are in! Trinity Flatliners and D-5's sweep the top 3 positions, T.Q., and ran fast laps at the U.S. touring car champs.
I think its fair to say they KRushed the competition.

jeffie86-96
01-12-2003, 09:14 PM
Medical advise. (hey i'm being helpful)
XXXSfreek try Prozac, it did "interesting" things to my life. ;)
:D

XXXS_FREAK
01-12-2003, 10:41 PM
Nanook:

Most of my posts are an attempt to help as well, and... in some cases offer an alternative viewpoint to Big Jims. I too am indebted to Jim for the knowledge I have gained from all his forums and his book. Sometimes we dont see eye to eye on issues, that is the cool thing about any forum. Big Jim and I need to stop being antagonistic towards each other, (it takes two to tango) and bury the hatchet as you and he have.

I only want to see this sport progress!

Jeffie:

Prozac has it's benefits, true dat! Just don't try to race on it, or I'll lap you!

Big Jim
01-12-2003, 10:44 PM
Got this off the trackside website.

-- MODIFIED SEDAN - A MAIN --
pos Car Laps time name id
1 1 26 5:05.49 BARRY BAKER 91 KR powered
2 2 26 5:09.79 RALPH BURCH JR 70 KR powered,
3 8 25 5:00.02 PAUL LEMIEUX 113
4 9 25 5:01.57 BRIAN KINWALD 112
5 4 25 5:04.13 DAVID JUN 204
6 0 25 5:07.42 TODD HODGE 116
7 3 25 5:09.11 CHRIS DOSECK 130
8 7 24 5:01.28 PAUL WYNN 90
9 5 24 5:10.85 BRIAN JUCHA 164
10 6 14 2:48.39 JOSH CYRL 221

But their website is laid out really strange. Could be Barry drove as good as Mayhem at his last race, haha.

XXXS,

Sounds like "back-peddling" to me.

denntec
01-12-2003, 11:04 PM
Berry is one of my favorite racer's, along with Mark Pavidis these guy's are top notch all the way !! denntec

Mayhem
01-12-2003, 11:10 PM
Heres what i got from the website.....

---- Multiple A Main Scores ----
pos t.pts e.pts 1st 2nd 3rd laps/time name
1 200 92 .... 100 92 100 49/10:20.04 PAUL LEMIEUX
2 199 99 .... 99 100 99 72/15:03.14 JOSH CYRUL
3 196 98 .... 98 98 98 72/15:15.48 BRIAN KINWALD
4 196 94 .... 94 99 97 72/15:24.01 BRIAN JUCHA
5 193 95 .... 97 95 96 72/15:31.18 RALPH BURCH JR
6 192 92 .... 92 97 95 70/15:11.80 DAVE KURSCHNER
7 190 92 .... 96 94 92 70/15:15.07 TRAVIS SCHREVEN
8 189 91 .... 91 96 93 53/11:39.70 TODD HODGE
9 188 91 .... 95 93 91 55/12:25.68 BARRY BAKER
10 187 0 .... 93 0 94 52/10:04.96 ANDREW CARTWRIGHT

Looks pretty cut and dry to me... Looks like he was just about as fast too! haha

Mayhem
01-12-2003, 11:22 PM
For the record i feel the fabulous one IS the best sedan driver on the planet when he is on, maybe his motor program needs a little work....

Big Jim
01-12-2003, 11:23 PM
I guess people see what they want to see. BTW, Mr. Robert Pedone (Mayhem and ousted Ex-ROAR Region 1 director-yeah, the other guy won the election) meet your long lost son, XXXS.

Have to agree with you. Barry is good. The only thing that would slow him down is all those flat-wire gimmick D5's that some how got in front of him on the grid. That's if your post is correct and mine isn't and that hasn't been established.

But it is a weird website.

Mayhem
01-12-2003, 11:30 PM
Was that really necessary? I'll take the high road. I'm not trying to get into it with you on your site.....we were talking about a toy car race and you have to get all personal...I just don't get you...
have fun Buh-Bye

XXXS_FREAK
01-13-2003, 12:09 AM
Big Jim:
WHATEVER!!!
It figures you'd be a fan of Barry!

Hi Robert! Tee hee!!!:D

Mayhem
01-13-2003, 12:35 AM
Hello my bretheren. "fight the enemy ,so long as there is life"!

Big Jim
01-13-2003, 12:42 AM
Too bad your "enemy" is so good for our sport while you two contriute NOTHING WORTHWHILE but you shining ignorance.

jeffie86-96
01-13-2003, 12:48 AM
But that's just your "edcated" opinion(as opposed to the rather uneducated seen so frequently here by "some" people) . Right JIM. ;) Signed :Jeffie

RogueRacing
01-13-2003, 01:00 AM
really it is. there's more to mod sedan than just the motors ya know. saying X driver won with Y motor doesn't always conclude the Y motor is the best. There's many veriables in a race the motor is one the drivers are the other, there's the cars, the setup, the mood of the driver at the time of the race, heck what happens when a car breaks? yep that's right your car breaks your more than likely to lose unless you were extremely fast and broke late in the race. what cars wher people running what tires what motors how many turns what brushes, was the driver in a good mood or was he stressed out, what lines were they taking. there's more to the car than the motor although i must admit it is one of the biggest factors. this whole Trinity vs Associated thing is worse than Chevy vs. Ford. Why so bitter? and no the flatwire thing doesn't make any sense to me as it's not really making the armature any lighter or adjusting the leverage If you study it well you'll notice that the mass hasn't really moved therefore i'm forced to say it's a gimick. as for the cap board was it really hard to solder on our own caps?the money would be better off spent making real improvments on motors. we'll see what happens when the D6 comes out what it's armatures are wound with. and why hasn't trinity gone to permanent magnets?thier is one thing i do favor about the trinity motors is they're copper endbell. but i'd be much happier with better magnets that don't fade. I run my motors till the comm is worn out and that's all that should wear out in a motor(well that and brushes...yes and bushings too although i have serious concerns why ROAR wishes to stay with those antique pieces when bearings are so cheap these days) And yes i do race with Trinit motors and Associated as well as some of the other companies motors.

jeffie86-96
01-13-2003, 01:12 AM
Rogue, I like it.
You could just as easily say that racer X using motor Y had too much power and the chasis can't handle it yet.
Or any other combination of the alphabet.

Big Jim
01-13-2003, 01:18 AM
Well said as always, RR

Big Jim
01-13-2003, 01:22 AM
"Personal Opinions?"

That's what COMMENTARY means. Just stay off the "learning" topics, Pedone and you won't have a problem here.

RogueRacing
01-13-2003, 01:30 AM
that was my point :) thankyou for understanding. will someone send me a link to that site so i can see for my self it's funkiness.

Big Jim
01-13-2003, 01:31 AM
BTW,

I just got an email from John Weideman, webmaster for the TRACKSIDE website, stating the following is correct.

-- MODIFIED SEDAN - A MAIN --
pos Car Laps time name id
1 1 26 5:05.49 BARRY BAKER 91 *****KR powered
2 2 26 5:09.79 RALPH BURCH JR 70 ******KR powered,
3 8 25 5:00.02 PAUL LEMIEUX 113
4 9 25 5:01.57 BRIAN KINWALD 112
5 4 25 5:04.13 DAVID JUN 204
6 0 25 5:07.42 TODD HODGE 116
7 3 25 5:09.11 CHRIS DOSECK 130
8 7 24 5:01.28 PAUL WYNN 90
9 5 24 5:10.85 BRIAN JUCHA 164
10 6 14 2:48.39 JOSH CYRL 221

heftybone
01-13-2003, 02:21 AM
Big Jim,

The part you posted was for the first race in the Triple A main of the Modified Class...I believe David Jun also runs for Reedy...at least that's what he said when he pitted across from me at So Cal...

I wrote an article for the So Cal Grand Prix and had to learn how to read the race result sheets. With the info Trackside posted, one can recreate what happened during the race, as far as what position drivers were in. Josh Cyrul won the whole thing for the Modified class. Paul L. won the Factory Stock class. Does anyone know if they used a "handout" motor for the stock class, like they did at the ROAR Nationals (P2K's)?

I believe the XXX-S Graphite Plus is starting to show how fast it can be. The original XXX-S took AE by surprise and they made adjustments to "fix" the inbalance. That's why Barry Baker used the TC3 rear shock tower on the front of his TC3 and the Losi knuckles (for more steering) during the Reedy race and the 2002 ROAR Nationals. Competition is a good thing. Action and reaction. Same goes with motors.

What I can't understand is why you guys call Trinity's flatliner armatures "gimicky". Same with the P-94 brushes. Have you tested the new arms and brushes? Or are you just making knee-jerk statements, for whatever your reasons may be?

Big Jim
01-13-2003, 03:10 AM
Hi HB,

Well, even the webmaster of the Trackside site doesn't know who won as he sent me the wrong info so you can't blame me for posting what I saw on the trackside website. Hey, Josh is a kick-ass driver and a great guy having met and had lunch with him with my good friend Dieter.

But if any reader here thinks that it has ANYTHING to do with "flat-wire" well, IT IS A GIMMICK (spelled correctly). I don't have to jump off a bridge to know I can't fly or wind an arm with flat wire to know it's a gimmick. If any of you doubters would happen to know an electrical engineer specializing in permanent magnet, fractional horsepower electric motors like I do and did (my father) they will tell you that.

And if any of you have more experience that Mike Reedy's and myself combined 48 years of R/C motor building knowledge who concurs with me about the benefits or lack thereof, from using ribbon wire (what it's really called) please post here and I will give you your own topic and call you the supreme God of r/c motors. If not, I personally don't want to here the whining again about "have you tried it". Has anybody tried to make a pig fly?

About Jim Dieter finally winning a major race from Reedy after over a year, I'm very glad for my old friend! It was a long time coming and I'm sure the taste of victory after this length of time tastes really sweet. More power to him. HE IS ONE OF THE BEST!

I'll be the first to say I was wrong about my prediction. But so what? I still say the KR will be faster than ANY motor you can buy over counter. Truthfully, most racers will never see the power of any of the A main drivers at this race.

BTW, in medical terms the word "Flatliner" is synonymous with "DEAD".

heftybone
01-13-2003, 03:19 AM
Big Jim,

Maybe Trinty was refering to the "competition" when they chose "Flatliner". ;)

BTW, I have an electrical engineering degree from the University of Texas at Austin. Just curious, but what university did you graduate from?

Thanks,

Big Jim
01-13-2003, 03:24 AM
The school of 37 years experience. Worth far more than reading from outdated text books. This is why employers pay more to people working in an industry for a long time than they do for raw recruits from the local po-dunk college.

But as an engineer you should know better than believe the flat wire BS. Maybe that also shows what that sheepskins worth. I did think that college grads were better spellers. So much for that theory. But then I knew an electrical engineer who couldn't use a DMM.

But have no fear. I correct EE's all the time on the Law's of Physics in the real world and most of them thank me for it.

(remember this is commentary)

heftybone
01-13-2003, 03:47 AM
Yes Big Jim,

It is commentary.

hb

Big Jim
01-13-2003, 04:34 AM
Hi HB,

Thanks Hefty for your mature attitude and placing this topic in proper prospective. After all, nobody thinks Larry King or Rush Limbaugh are as big a jerks as they are on TV and radio. It's part of the 'Commentary game".

Judging by the almost 300 views a day on this topic, it's doing what's it's suppose to do. I do know that most of the viewers of this topic also view the "learning" topics as well while they are here which accomplishes the man reason I do this forum thing-to promote r/c racing and to help others.

Plus, the Big Jim Motor Forum was just awarded the "most read" r/c forum on the Internet Brandon told me. By who I forget but I assume it to be true by him awarding me $150 a month "appreciation" money for the work I do here. Nobody has EVER offered me any money for what I do on my forums because it's not about that, for me. But my car could use that extra money to get it running the way I want (OK, I should say "keep it running", haha).

Thanks TO YOU ALL out there. For without you, I wouldn't be getting that money or the title. Yes, thanks to HB, XXXS and even Mayhem.

Mayhem
01-13-2003, 09:02 AM
Don't mention it Jim. And thank you for helping to perpetuate my character in your many posts advertising me. For I too have been offered monetary gains by your competition's site recently as a result of these boards. You know what they say: even bad press is good press! Thank you ,and my many adoring fans.
As for the Flatliner thing being a gimmick? You dont even have to DRIVE one to actually feel the difference,(some of us actually do), Anyone who even SEES a pro driver run one can tell they are something special. Give the readers a little credit, they are intelligent consumers who make up thier own mind anyway.
Quid pro-quo - (check the dictionary)- If you tested and found the flatliners to be a superior motor, would you advise your readers as such? I think we all know the answer to that question. Which is exactly the reason this site has little or no credibility among this" quickly becoming profitible" forum arena. $150.00? Your underpaid and overworked my friend.

XXXS_FREAK
01-13-2003, 10:46 AM
You call yourself an Electrical Engineer, but that title actually requires college or some kind of post-secondary education! If you did not go to college do not knock it. Many of your readers here have, and you dont want to alienate them! (Like you do Trinity fans!)

You break the forum rules again by personally attacking heftybone; and, as you implied his "worthless sheepskin". My that is adult! You knock someone for achieving what you could not!

I am sure HB and his sheepskin pulls in more a month than you do!

jeffie86-96
01-13-2003, 11:56 AM
I know plenty of engineers that don't have a degree. All it takes is enough savvy to fill the position adequately despite the education. I know plenty of them that have "papers" but couldn't engineer their way out of a paper bag. ;)

rtypec
01-13-2003, 01:59 PM
If I'm not mistaken, David Jun set quickest lap in the mains, with Reedy power and a Tamiya Evolution3. Not bad for its first outting. Also keep in mind the number of modifications other drivers did to their cars and the fact that DJ's car is basically box stock. Now the question is: did he have access to the KR motors and if he didn't, imagine what would have happened if he did.

heftybone
01-13-2003, 02:16 PM
rtypec,

With all the development David Jun did with the 414 MII, why did he try the Evolution 3 with so lil' development time? It does highlight how fast the car is out of the box, though.

Are ya going to be at the track tomrrow? I'm setting my second Monster up for racing. The first one will be relegated to "practice motor".

rtypec
01-13-2003, 02:24 PM
Heya HB, yes I'll be at the track tomorrow. I'm currently working on my Evo3 and it's about 2/3 done. I've got a new monster to prep for the Evo3 but I will be running my freshly rebuilt 414M2. And you know what? I'll run sportsman instead of prostock to give you guys a run for the money, esp to all of those loserrrrr..I mean, losi cars:)

heftybone
01-13-2003, 02:33 PM
rtypec,

I see how you are. :p Okay Tamiya boy, I look forward to the challenge.

WZZZZZZ....that's the sound of my Dremel firing up, so I can make "weight". ;)

JWiedemann
01-13-2003, 03:35 PM
Hi HB,

Well, even the webmaster of the Trackside site doesn't know who won as he sent me the wrong info so you can't blame me for posting what I saw on the trackside website. b]

Jim,
What I sent you via e-mail was an explanation of the information that is on the website. While I said it is a bit confusing, I explained in the e-mail that we ran triple A Mains and the results are listed as follows, A Main 1 results, Triple A Main points, A Main 2 results and A Main 3 results. The triple A Main points show who the overall winner of the class is, not a single A main. The list of results that I sent in the email were copied and quoted your post on this forum and not what I thought happend. I hope this helps.
Thank you,
John

Big Jim
01-13-2003, 05:01 PM
Thanks John,

Mayhem.

Thing is, I have never seen ANY post of yours that was either correct in it's statements or helpful what-so-ever. It just shows what the dark side is willing to pay for. Like trashing the hardest working forum moderator in the business and posting crap on the most popular r/c forum on the net. It's not worth 10 cents to me and I'm poor. Too bad some journalistic skills and motor knowledge doesn't come along with that dark money.

I really loved that one statement of yours on HobbyTalk, "My spies tell me that the new Reedy motors...blah, blah". Totally wrong as usual. I'm still laughing on that one. I know it's not HobbyTalk that's paying you. Hank has more sense than that.
BTW, I have no competition. This forum is WAY #1.

Money is not why I do this, my friend. But one does like SOME recognition for good work done. A concept your benefactors have a big problem with. They hired you to do their dirty work because they work covertly from the shadows avoiding direct confrontation.

And one more thing, Ernie Provetti offered me $1500 a month to do his TT for him
...just a few months after firing me and I returned here to CA. I do this forum here basically for NOTHING but I turned Ernie's offer down. Some things money can't buy, like INTEGRITY. If you are getting less, it's you who are getting screwed!

XXXS,

Please show me ANYWHERE where I called myself an electrical engineer. Sounds like more of the dysfunctional projections again. Concerning r/c motors and their principles, I teach EE's. That's why so many of them read my forum. If they new that much about r/c motors they wouldn't have to.

BTW, to All readers

Most people have figured out by now.....

The standard forum rules don't apply on this topic only. Otherwise I'd have deleted most of this BS. On the "learning" topics, I'm really strict on those rules.

Once again for the illiterate, as long as the language is "G" rated and it's about r/c car racing, anything goes here. I challenge TT to start a topic like this, well, I mean bashing with impunity. The bashing is certainly there on virtually every topic.

Mayhem
01-13-2003, 06:09 PM
Yeah, yeah, whatever...But seriously now, and this is a straight up question, please do me the courtesy of an honest answer.
Why in the world would the Reedy drivers in the Factory Stock class be running Trinity Monstor stock Motors? One reedy driver did not, but finished next to last. (Last place broke and DNF'd)
I'll do you/them the courtesy of not naming names, I have the facts to back it up. These were not handouts in this class.
No Big Jim MVP's in the bunch? I would think that would have been the perfect place to showcase what you have been preaching for years and "put up or shut up" if you will with one of your superior motors in the hands of the best sedan driver in the world! Well? YOU DIDN'T PUT UP! SO.........
C'mon Jim, we wont hold it against you if you admit you were wrong. Noone's right 100% percent of the time, not even me!

Big Jim
01-13-2003, 06:18 PM
Mayhem,

"Yeah, yeah, whatever..."

This is what they're paying you for? Not real eloquent but at least you spelled the words right. As always, Ernie is wasting his money.

I have no idea what you're talking about, as usual. I wasn't there. The new Reedy wasn't allowed to run but I've said that here and I hate repeating myself to people who can't read.

BTW, who's Noone? Your invisible playmate or the blow-up variety?

heftybone
01-13-2003, 06:36 PM
That race must have been one crazy time.

I saw one driver's mod car had THREE cooling fans in the picture gallery area. I think it might have been Kinwalds, 'cause he likes to cut off his back bumper for weight and I think I recognize the Dremel work on his XXX-S chassis.

Mayhem,

AE stock class drivers were running Monsters? With Mike Reedy in attendance?

DavidLee
01-13-2003, 08:02 PM
Just for the record I ran a Reedy MVP last Sunday in 1/12 scale onroad at Limerick, PA. All the other drivers had the Monster. I set TQ by about 10 laps. One driver did equal my lap times, but couldn't finish a qualifier. My contention is the proof of a good motor is one that does well in the hands of the general public, not the professionals.

Mayhem
01-13-2003, 08:11 PM
Once again, we are talking about motors/races etc. and you go into "your mother wears army boots" mode. Par for the course when a person knows he has lost an arguement. I thought you were a worthy adversary???...Just say the word and I'll leave. After all, YOU invited me/us here in the first place. I'll give you a break bro, i can see your gettin miffed again.

DavidLee
01-13-2003, 08:16 PM
Mahem - Your tact on this board doesn't make sense. It seems you are only here to provoke BJ. You know that rings a bell with me when I last saw you. You couldn't just answer my simple question. You confronted me with a question of your own that didn't relate to what I asked. There are guys working in my profession that were that way. They got help and took prozak (sp). Just a thought. I am concerned for your health.

jeffie86-96
01-13-2003, 08:30 PM
Funny how Big Jim not once turned me away from a Trinity product that WORKS. Even though I knew nothing about RC motors when we met. He advised me on what works and what doesn't regardless of manufacturer without getting mad, name calling, threatening, etc. How you guys get that he is bashing is beyond me?

Oh yea , Prozac baby, gets my vote!!:D Mayhem

Mayhem
01-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Personal again...C'mon GUYS. Do you really not have enough ammo that you need to resort to personal attacks?? If anyone reads the above thread they will clearly see i never resort to namecalling or personal attacks. When people dont have facts, that is what they resort to.
Mr. Lee- When you learn to treat people with respect, you in turn will recieve it from me.
I think i have accomplished what i came here for.
Big Jim: I give you credit, You have not deleted me or my posts, although I did stay within the guidlines and you resorted to petty namecalling I think my point(s) are clear. IF you leave all posts up un-edited, you will always be a man of your word in my book.
And remember, its rude to talk about people after they have left the room......Good Luck in your endeavors.

DavidLee
01-13-2003, 08:43 PM
Bobby, my man. I don't have to respect you. I don't live to do that. I just want to learn. I learn from everyone. I even learn from you. I learned that you can go on a bulletin board and change a topic around so no one goes on there any more. I learned that you don't care about the local racers without places to race. I learned..... well I think that pretty well makes the point. And you better be ready for that challenge race, because someday it may happen. You and me on the oval, baby. Your rules. As the boys in Dover say, ADX upon ya!

denntec
01-13-2003, 10:01 PM
Give them the slap'n they deserve !!!!!!! LOL I'm glad to hear a bit of extra cash came your way, :D that's allway's cool , I hope you make a few buck's on the black book too mine is on the way, if your a racer GET THE BOOK !!!! denntec

XXXS_FREAK
01-13-2003, 10:18 PM
Here is what I found on the race at Trackside at a well known company's website:

The Monster Stock and D5 Dominate US Touring Car Championship!

The boys from Team Trinity were at it again with another dominating performance. This time it was at the US Touring Car Championships at Trackside Hobbies in Brookfield WI.

This race had a "Factory Pro" class where the factories were able to run their "pro" racers in a stock class format, but use their own "ROAR" spec motors. This was a "Battle of the Titans" for stock. Each factory bringing their best. Trinity brought the Monster Stock, Reedy and the rest brought their best and here is how it went.....

It was Team Trinity taking the top three spots in Factory Stock with Paul Lemieux taking first, Josh Cyrul finishing second but with TQ honors with Brian Kinwald finishing third. Nine of the ten motors in the Factory Stock A main were Trinity's Monster Stock motor and the top five finishers were running the Monster Stock.

In modified it was much the same story. There was a 10 turn limit on the motors and the D5 with Flatwire™ technology proved too much for the competition as Team Trinity TQ'd, won and placed 5 out of 10 cars in the A main. Team Trinity also used VIS Matched GP3300 cells to power this dominating performance. In the end it was Josh taking home the win, followed by Paul Lemieux, who TQ'd this class, Brian Kinwald fourth, Chris Doseck eighth and Todd Hodge 10th.

Congratulations to Jim Dieter, Josh Cyrul, Paul Lemieux and the entire Trinity team for another outstanding performance. Congratulations are also in order for the Monster Stock and D5 design teams for developing such a dominating motor technology.

They even put a link to this page: http://www.trackside.com/Novfinal.htm

So who do we believe???

heftybone
01-13-2003, 11:09 PM
Well XXXS_FREAK,

When you put it that way, you make it sound like Trinity did much better than the competition. But, like the folks at AE/Reedy are discovering now, you are only as good as your last race.

I was looking at the D5 armature, and wondering why they did not use a design like the Monster stock armature, where more material is on one side, as you look down the shaft. Big Jim, would that be useless in a modified motor, since the racer can just dial in more timing?

Thanks,

rtypec
01-13-2003, 11:26 PM
Yesh, they don't take too long to do any chest thumping. Trinity's false advertising is top notch! What's funny is that Barry Baker won the first main, David Jun blitzed the second, and a T driver won the last one. I hardly call that domination! I can see Big Jim's point on how Trinity skews results to best suit their needs. The "ad" says Brian Kinwald finished 4th...but does not say that that was his highest finishing position. Blah blah blah...Trinity makes some decent products but for the most part I dislike their way of doing business. This reminds me of when the Angels won the world series, Michael Isner (sp) was right there to make a killing on the parties they had in Disneyland.

heftybone
01-13-2003, 11:51 PM
Um...XXXS_FREAK,

rtypec wasn't talking about the Angels. He was referring to how ol' Mike made lots of money parading people from Disneyland to California Adventure. And how he will probably be using the recent wins to bolster the bidding price when Disney goes to sell the club. :D

I did like how Eisner was shown sitting next to Gray Davis and the announcer just talked about Eisner. He probably saw the sales tax hike coming.

To make this R/C related, I think rtypec was present with me at the Tamiya track when the F-117 circled twice and afterburned it's way to Edison Field for it's flyby. That plane, and the B-2 bomber are just evil. I'm glad they are on our side. though.

FIVE 7
01-14-2003, 12:01 AM
Hey Jim,

What's with the Custom Avtars I keep seeing? I have been on the thread 3 times today and have seen 3 different avtars from you alone. Are you trying some different ones out or do they just rotate every couple of hours? LOL How many posts do I have to have in order to get my own custom avtar? :rolleyes:

Brent

derekjr_1
01-14-2003, 12:06 AM
Yeah that quote is from the Big T's site, and YES it appears the monster stock dominated the touring cars. They are light though! Id like to see that peice of JUNK run in my xxxt. No thanks! Ill take my Hellfire or MVP anyday of this and last and next week.

My buddy at the track ran a Monster in his XXX. Pretty fast on the straight but NOWHERE else. They sound weird too. You can LITERALLY here the RPM's. Way diff sounding then any motor I have ever herd.

Heck I guess they are good if you NEED RPM, but they have absoultely nothing else.

What do you haters think about that? Just bring it!

heftybone
01-14-2003, 12:29 AM
Kinwald races at our track and doesn't suggest the Monster Stock for the new XXX-4. I would think he meant anything off-road, as well.

The Monster is meant for on-road, and it's a rocket when geared correctly. Stick with the P2K and P2K2 for off-road.

derekjr_1
01-14-2003, 12:34 AM
Heck I wouldnt suggest ANY stock for ANY 4 wheeler. They are JUST so much better and funner with an 11x2 mod. Stock is TOO slow for the things in off-road. I guess if that is ALL you can drive though.

losi jon1
01-14-2003, 12:44 AM
BJ-for a long time I have been looking for information on motors from you anywhere i could on the net. Today I heard about this forum and decided to check it out because it must be loaded with information that is very valuable to many. Well it is and I was even thinking about ordering your book but lo and behold i come across this thread on the board. Well sorry Jim but your not going to get any money from me. I run Reedy motors, Trinity motors, Peak, basically any motor I can and i have had success and failure with all but I am not about to bash any of them. Sorry Jim, some of your comments are completely uncalled for and if you want to build motors fine, build motors but please do us all a favor and step off your soapbox for a little while it's already old. Stick to doing what you do best, building motors and stay out of the PR game. Nobody asked you. By the way, what hurts your arm more? Winding motors all day or patting yourself on the back? I mean i will give you credit for what you have done but your'e like a kid who just went potty in the toilet for the first time and not in his pants. "Did I do good daddy? did I do good"? Even kids know when to stop ASKING for credit when they have done something good, it eventually wears thin and then you have to do something else to earn praise.

jon shearer
just some guy who has fun racing with his friends and who has a degree from some "po-dunk" college.

hooked911
01-14-2003, 12:55 AM
LOL!!!

XXXS_FREAK
01-14-2003, 02:05 AM
Losi Jon:

SPOKEN ELOQUENTLY!

I too am a graduate of a "po-dunk" college! Let's hear it for those of us who are educated! Hoo-RAW!!!

Where you from bud?

Big Jim
01-14-2003, 03:36 AM
Hi Losi Jon,

Maybe eloquently spoken but use spell checker, OK. But you're not any worse that most college grads, however. BTW, I really don't care if you agree or don't agree and I certainly don't need your po-dunk bucks. Fortunately, there are 1000 people with the opposite view of what I do here for every one of the Mayhems, XXXS, Losi jon's and the other do nothings and know nothings. Most people who read these pages are helpful racers who desire to see our great sport grow by helping others and give a healthy, pleasant aire to the hobby/sport of r/c racing.

About what all I say, yea or ney about a company is based on facts and first hand knowledge. But then it's really easy to grab a handful of "keyboard courage" and post unfounded slanderous comments about your's truely. I can tell when you logged in that you provided no public contact info or any profile what-so-ever. Anonymous poopers like you never do.

Hey' it's my forum the most popular r/c forum on the Internet. The ONLY place you can say the things you do and not be deleted. You owe me that much anyway for the renting of your soapbox.

As you can see, you're breaking my heart--NOT!

Just keep your unfounded and stupid opinions here on this topic and away from the "learning" topics on the main board. Or I will ban you.

Hey...wait...I think I hear TT calling you!

Luckyman4
01-14-2003, 12:30 PM
Hi Big Jim!

Just a short note to say "THANKS A BUNCH" for two recent threads you posted, "All the Tuning Tips from my Website" and "10 Most Important Tuning Tips". While I have the Black Book and it serves me well, having the 'creme de la creme' posted in one "easy to print" location is really great!!!

The support you provide to racers is nothing short of amazing, especially considering the fact that you give it away for free!

btw, I see some readers on this forum still can't grasp the concept of free information, from their commments you'd think they were being charged to log in here. Their loss ...

Thanks again, John :D

losi jon1
01-14-2003, 01:30 PM
Jim-what's the deal with spell checker big boy? I have seen numerous posts where you have misspelled words but so what? get over it. What info would you like sir? I gave you my full name. My email address you have since I had to register with it. I race in Bakersfield California. I have raced at several big races around the western United States the past five years plus. I (when not working) volunteer at my local track by working and being the race director for it's friday night offroad program. Do you want my address? Are you going to send me a snooty letter? I mean what exactly do you want as far as "public contact info"? I ALWAYS help people everywhere I can and have made numerous friends with several factory drivers and newbies alike. Like I said earlier, I do not question your abilities with an electric motor but man quit patting yourself on the back. Now that you have learned how to not piss your pants, it's time to start NOT pissing all over your shoes, keep up the good work, you're almost there.

losi jon1
01-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Jim-just another quick question for you. If you are so right all the time and all these other people are so wrong, how come they have VERY established companies making millions of dollars and you are.......?????? Oh yeah, that's right your in it for the people.....!!!!! Sounds like to me your one of those people that are very good at something but doesn't know when to keep their mouth shut.

Big Jim
01-14-2003, 02:05 PM
Hi Losi jon,

Wish I could make heads or tails of your senseless posts. Your ranting is both demented and useless. And it violates the very liberal (and only two) rules of this topic. Do it again and you're done here.

BTW, I'm not a perfect speller (I don't use spell check however) but I know enough to never use "i" for "I". Must be a Bakersfield thing.

denntec
01-14-2003, 04:46 PM
Maintaining your integrity and doing what you say you will is rare in this day and age and often it come's at a price,I have many time's been in a situation where I could have made some big gain's in one form or another but didn't because it was just flat wrong I am shure Big Jim know's what I'm talking about, how many people today say I do then because it get's too hard for them they don't !!! how many people do you know that say they will do this or that and don't !!!!! If I tell someone I will do this or that you can bet your life it will happen !!!! I do not make commitment's lightly and from what I have seen on Big Jim's forum he doesn't either. Integrity like that unfortunately pretty much has died out . I learned it from my grandfather he allway's told me if you say you will make shure you do !!!! he also said you will sometime's feel like your being punished for doing the right thing and people will get pissed off at you he then said that's how you know your doing right!!! you will allway's have someone pissed off at you !!!!! maybe a bit old school but is dead on accurate ! denntec

Big Jim
01-14-2003, 05:04 PM
Well, Losi Jon,

All of your 5 whole posts on this forum (now deleted to 3) have been demented, useless and stupid. You obviously have no sense and no value here. Try TT.

See ya.

Try doing some work instead of screwing your boss over by you spending all day on my forum.

mattlyness
01-14-2003, 07:51 PM
I am a complete newbie and I mean newbie, but for the last month or so I have read this message board and came to to conclusions noted below.
1. BJ seems to be the most notable and experienced person on the web posting any sort of info on R/C motors.
2. BJ also seems to have a chip on his shoulder and is hung up on a certain other manufacturer (possibly well founded).
3. It appears that if you speak out against BJ whether in an educated manner or not you are ridiculed or even 'erased'.
4. This thread is also for those (I believe, possibly wrongly) that disagree or feel a necessity to air opinions differing for BJ and therefore deserve to be viewed by the masses.
I realise I am a 'nobody' but I am sure there are more like myself that are getting a distorted view (perhaps distorted is erronous and distasteful is more apt) of R/C cars, it is of little benefit for the sport to view such childish and irrelevant comments so perhaps a more educated and adult attitude would be of benefit to us all.
I await your 'adult ' replies!:o :o

hooked911
01-14-2003, 08:03 PM
This fourm is better than comedy central!!!!!!!!! But I do have to say Jim, I think you were wrong in deleting losi jon. He didnt break any rules, you just didnt like him. I also think he had some valid points. Now If you want to bash or delete me because I have a different view point go ahead. I think you proved yourself by banning losi jon anyway.

STLNLST
01-14-2003, 08:08 PM
TOASTY!

hooked911
01-14-2003, 08:10 PM
BIG JIM'S COMMENTARY and your rebuttles.

I dont see where Jon broke the rules. His post are no worse than yours Jim.

Big Jim
01-14-2003, 08:16 PM
Hi Hooked,

You didn't see the posts I deleted of his.

I have to either respond to the posts addressed to me or delete them. I try to keep my promises about deleting things and abide by the special rules of this topic. If people wouldn't go off-topic by slamming me personally (therefore violating the rules) I wouldn't either. But hey, it's my game. Posting the rules I wrote is pretty lame, dude.

A post from any of you reading here of support would be appreciated sometimes and not letting me do all the dirty work with scavengers. Maybe some of you missed the "compliment" aim part of this topic.

But then again, I can handle myself with the -50 IQ points of the slammers. Easy job really.

Big Jim
01-14-2003, 08:27 PM
I thought I explained that in my last post.

Man, I hate it when people slam first and read later. Geez!

BTW, you should know the rules by postng them. And your post violates that rule. Once again if people wouldn't violate the rules I wouldn't have to either. See the post above yours if you have any questions. It's either that or I start deleting. UP TO YOU ALL!!

racerb
01-14-2003, 08:40 PM
If you don't like what he or anyone else is saying just leave..Who the hell cares about what anyone else thinks..it is still not going to change anything, so-and so is still going to believe one thing and so-and-so is still going to believe another so there is not a damn thing anyone can do except bitch and gripe and still be stuck behind our lousy computer screens reading good info or sometimes not so good but it still won't change anything that is said....
I will say it again if you don't like or agree look away or just leave before we ruin another good website full of info that SOME people might find helpfull...

chow for now,
Blain
PS.. the only reason I write this is cause I notice this thread keeps growing but it not actually doing anything by helping and I just don't want to see this forum go like the others of the past

ROCKET
01-14-2003, 08:46 PM
Jim he did'nt break the rules REBUTTLES!!!!!!!!
Can't take it? You can't make up the rules as you go.

Big Jim
01-14-2003, 08:49 PM
Hooked,

Yeah, I wouldn't either. You don't have the skill.

But your post was partialy right. You're getting close the big "B" yourself, then you and losi jon can sit around wondering what to do when you can't ask questions on my forum anymore...oh wait...you're the guy who thinks he knows more than me..Sorry I forgot.

You don't think I can do whatever I want here? I can say anything, change your posts to say anything and make you look like a total idiot (even more so) or delete and ban you.

Don't tell me what I can do and can't do on my forum! See just the example above. To others, Hooked didn't really say that.

And ROCKET,

You're starting off REALLY well here. One post and one slam. More "keyboard courage" served on a platter of crap.

mattlyness
01-14-2003, 08:57 PM
BJ try valium! Or even a couple of reality pills!!
It is a 'FORUM'! topics for discussion.

Big Jim
01-14-2003, 09:01 PM
Thanks Blaine.
You are very well adjusted and don't be discouraged by the few scavengers who devour the rotten meat I something serve up on this topic. IT'S COMMENTARY.

I don't want anyone to think that ANYTHING on this topic means squat, even my posts. Hey, if Rush and Larry can do it, I can too. It keeps the creeps off the "good" topics as Jeffie/86 told me by email.

BTW, speaking of email, thanks everyone for your support but this is just words and words can't hurt anyone. Don't take anything said on this topic seriously. Hey, it probably keeps some of these guys from crashing planes into buildings.

As for you, matt,

DON"T EVER tell a recovering addict to take drugs! Talk about "politically incorrect"! And don't lay in front of any doorsteps.

jeffie86-96
01-14-2003, 09:02 PM
I have been told on another forum that the new reedy motor is so fast that I will need a modified 19 turn motor to beat it. Is this true? I don't want to waste money on an expensive 19 turn motor if I can use another stocker that is cheaper what is your opinion? :confused:

mattlyness
01-14-2003, 09:14 PM
Now that's funny, more like it! All right you've convinced me I'll order your book. See the tablets are working already.

racerb
01-14-2003, 09:15 PM
from what Jim kinda said who knows when the Platinum stock motor will be out he was kinda saying (probably in a joking way) we will be lucky if it is out by the end of March...i know that kinda bumms me out

Oh and by the way Jim no I not that discouraged I a grown up I can handle it it just too bad some people can't get over some things and learn to live...plus so far ur motor info has won me my first race (this past weekend) and I say it was the motor cause I definetly hit everything in site but man was my car fast!!!!

So just don't give up on some of us cause some think U have plenty of usefull hints and info amongst alot of bull**** posts that we have to weed through( and by this I don't mean urs,unless u are trying to defend or attack back)

derekjr_1
01-14-2003, 09:24 PM
I agree with racerb. Dont give up on us peopel that DO care for your tips and tricks and really appreciate it! Without you around alot of people would have CRAPPY motors and would have spent a FORTUNE on stuff. Thanks BJ!!!!

racerb
01-14-2003, 09:29 PM
By the sounds of it I am going to need the $$ if these stockers ever get here..plus all the rest of the parts i broke this weekend while I was winning the race;)

OutDrive
01-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Hey BJ, I think you need to be congratulated!

Evidently, word of this topic is getting around the internet and people are coming here to see what it's all about!

What kills me is, though I am running around 60 posts or so, I still feel as though I am a "guest" here. If you say you don't care for Trinity's business ethics, well, it's your forum (Personally, I have to agree with you on this topic though). What bothers me is people coming here with only a few posts and immediately jump head first into a confrontation. I like your references to "keyboard courage"!

I guess I was brought up differently...respect what is others, even if it's their opinion. I think some of our new friends should consider adopting this character trait.

Now, if you said you didn't like Snicker's bars, well my friend, you would have an argument on your hands! :D

Keep up the good work BJ. Once the flame has burned out, maybe we can get everyone to help turn this energy into something productive. Personally, I still want to learn how to hand wind my own armatures!

As always, take care...

jeffie86-96
01-14-2003, 09:50 PM
In your opinion what is the most FUN size of RC car, I find that my 1-10 car is way too big and fast for in the house and am considering using a 1-12 scale for around the living room running over Ken dolls and giving Barbie a ride.:)

racerb
01-14-2003, 09:54 PM
sticking old RC motors in some of my kids toys...Man do some of those barbie cars fly and the Tonka trucks are hard to handle..just have to work on putting shocks in those monster trucks PLus the kids love thier toys more now than ever:D

jeffie86-96
01-14-2003, 09:57 PM
I just sold my Grasshopper that was GI Joes rapid attack vehicle but I will be getting a Super Hornet soon, hope it isn't too fast for the house, I suppose I could use a Johnson motor in it.LOL

racerb
01-14-2003, 10:02 PM
I got it about Fifteen years ago too bad I did not know what I had when it was good..now it a bit torn up but I think I am going to either fix it up or sell it LOL...Maybe the kids can try it when the outdoor season starts

jeffie86-96
01-14-2003, 10:16 PM
I bought my Grasshopper in germany in 1985 and it was the most fun! I gave it to my brother that same year as a birthday present and he ran over the transmitter with a lawn mower so it sat on a shelf till last month when he gave it back. I found out they are collectable and sold it for enought to afford the Super Hornet. Parts are getting hard to find for that Grasshopper.

Matt Howard
01-14-2003, 10:36 PM
I hope you weren't refering to me with that drug comment

denntec
01-14-2003, 10:41 PM
Yep! it's a Jeep and both girl's ride in it at the same time and kinda slowed it down so I put a stock E-maxx motor in it after properly breaking in the closed endbell motor !! and LOL it run's pretty good but I find myself charging the battery a lot more////// denntec

jeffie86-96
01-14-2003, 10:43 PM
I was thinking of doing that to my daughters Barbie car but it has 2 motors in it already and it zips along nicely.:eek:

OutDrive
01-14-2003, 10:48 PM
Hey Matt!

I believe Big Jim was referring to "mattlyness's" second post, suggesting he "take a valium".

Big Jim
01-14-2003, 11:17 PM
No Matt,

It was mattlyness or sometrhing like that.

Hey Blaine, (aka racerb)

Don't worry, that Jerry Springer comment has nothing to do with r/c racing (one of the rules here) and will be deleted. But, between you and me, coming from a dysfunctional, delusional and demented human-being, that's quite a compliment.

The "3 D's" are getting quite common here.

jeffie86-96
01-14-2003, 11:36 PM
I DO have a couple of GM3s that I ain't using , maybe the Barbie car needs supercharged. LOL. :D Probably won't ever use those GM3s when I get my mod motor this weekend.
I do plan to get me one of them new Cobalt(or whatever it's name is) motors though.:)

racerb
01-14-2003, 11:41 PM
Maybe U should let ur pal Jeffie know what the new stock motor's name is..just in case he not know hahaha..not that it that big of a deal:D

jeffie86-96
01-15-2003, 12:01 AM
A rose by any other name would still blow the doors off .LOL

racerb
01-15-2003, 12:06 AM
who knew Rcer's could be so sophisticated

hahahaha
Blain:D

jeffie86-96
01-15-2003, 12:12 AM
It gets plenty Deep in here from time to time,,,,,,,,:rolleyes: gonna start wearin my hip waders fore long.

racerb
01-15-2003, 12:17 AM
we haven't been talking very much about rc's here so we better stop this ...but leave it to U and I to cool things off in here hehehehe when U going to go and see Big Jim bout his Vette?? also good ? about the arms I was also thinking the same :D

jeffie86-96
01-15-2003, 12:22 AM
RCcars- Going to fix the leaky head gaskets on Jims car-RCcars- while I'm at it we do a super port and polish-RCcars- and I give it the super tune-RC cars. There.:rolleyes:

racerb
01-15-2003, 12:28 AM
Very funny smart ass.....whoops there is that name calling thing...Oh Well
oh ya rc related............RCCARS.com RULES..
give me a break couldn't think of anything else..going to check to see if Jim replied to ur ??

Big Jim
01-15-2003, 04:44 AM
Hi Blain,

Well, I have announced the name of the new Reedy stock motor elsewhere on this forum. I didn't do it with much fan-fare because I'm not sure if Mike would like it. I really haven't gotten the official OK yet to tell you all.

But Jeffie knows all about the new Reedy motors including the KR's secret technology (and he couldn't care less, ha). He's much too busy planning the HP mods to the Big Jim RCCARS Corvette (I named it that). He will be here tomorrow and by tomorrow night, we'll be up to our elbows in Corvette juice, ha.

BTW, be sure and check out that great pic of Barry Baker on the Reedy Motors topic. He REALLY likes his KR's.

Sometimes you have to be the "3rd person" when it comes to what's written here. Ya see, I know you are a good guy from your previous posts and I know that Jeffie is a good guy and didn't take offense by the "smart-ass" remark, so I'm leaving it up unless Jeffie objects. You know what I mean I think. It's one of those "A friend of my friend is also a friend of mine" kinda things.

Euge
01-15-2003, 10:26 AM
I had to finally post. I've been an avid reader of this forum and have been following this thread religiously, but have never posted. I think this forum has some incredibly useful information coming from one of the foremost authorities in the business. {You know there's a "but" coming}

But I think that this thread has gotten out of hand and has deviated from its original intent. Of course I could never know for certain what Big Jim's intent was for creating this thread, but I have to believe that it wasn't supposed to be what it has ended up becoming; a slamfest....on both sides. Perhaps this thread was intended as a place to critique business practices, politics, or behind the scenes machinations most of us are unaware of, but I think we all had a feeling that when this thread was created, that there was clearly a risk of it getting out of hand. And I believe it has. The last few posts seem good natured, but I think the pages of posts preceding it are nothing but slams.

Big Jim, I feel that banning/deleting Losi Jon was clearly contrary to the rules (as I interpreted them) when this thread began. Certainly you reserve the right to apply/modify/fine tune the rules as you see fit. I guess my point is that I feel this thread should be deleted. This thread and it's whole premise invites aggression, rudeness, criticism, and personal attacks. I realize this thread attracts hundreds of views per day, and you have recently been given bragging rights to being "the number one new forum on rc cars", but do you really want to lay claim to that title because of this thread?
I believe this thread has been aggravating for you, considering the number of attacks you have received, despite the tough exterior you project. You have said you have no problem defending yourself, but I have to believe that this thread is affecting you. I believe you've been just as bad, if not worse, personally attacking people on this forum as you have received. My point: do us all a favor and delete this thread. It has gotten out of hand.

racerb
01-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Big Jim was saying at least it is kinda keeping the scavengers off some of the other threads and I have noticed it has kinda cleaned up the others a bit..so as long as it doesn't bother Big Jim I think it should stay...My main concern is that History doesn't repeat itself and big Jim get tired of doing the forum:D

chow for now
Blain

Euge
01-15-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by racerb
Big Jim was saying at least it is kinda keeping the scavengers off some of the other threads and I have noticed it has kinda cleaned up the others a bit

I agree that having this thread is a good outlet for comments like we have all seen. It certainly doesn't belong in any of the other threads. However, like I said before, this thread just invites personal attacks. Anyone who enters should realize that personal attacks are inevitable, and just take everything with a grain of salt--posters and moderator alike. If personal attacks are not wanted on this forum, then this whole thread should be deleted.

Originally posted by racerb
My main concern is that History doesn't repeat itself and big Jim get tired of doing the forum:D

I honestly haven't been around to fully understand what you speak of when you say 'History', but I think I get the idea. I have to believe that threads turning ugly would be the prime reason for getting tired of doing a forum. I likewise share your concern.

jeffie86-96
01-15-2003, 10:52 AM
(rccars)Maybe we sould start a new thread (rccars)and call it (rccars)something like "the vent thread"? or "rage page" or "one million things I hate about Big Jim" or,,,,,,,,,,,,;)
(rcars )

Euge
01-15-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by jeffie86/96
(rccars)Maybe we sould start a new thread (rccars)and call it (rccars)something like "the vent thread"? or "rage page" or "one million things I hate about Big Jim" or,,,,,,,,,,,,;)
(rcars )

I agree 100%.
I am wondering what BJ thinks.
It would be like a little padded room where you would go to vent. You know, there's probably a reason why 99% of messageboards out there don't allow flamefests. If this forum is truly going to be progressive and allow users to speak their minds openly, then there should be a thread (perhaps renamed to what jeffie said) where it would be understood that there might be some off-color remarks, as long as they're G rated.

Big Jim
01-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Hi Euge,

Welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of places on the net for some people to voice their opinions but no r/c places. R/C people have opinions too that wouldn't make sense to a non-enthusiasts (some don't anyway).

There's only two rules on this topic. Keep it "G" rated and must be about r/c racing and I won't delete anything said here.
Well, some people just can't even stick to those two simple rules. It does seem people just tend to violate for the sake of violation. The rules are so simple yet I'm still having to delete here. Then the pin-heads email me and say I'm using a double standard. I don't think so.

In order for me to have some sort of controlled situation here, I have to respond to remarks said about the forum or the way I run it. That's what commentary is all about. This is necessary if I am to keep my word about not deleting people. Sometimes, I have to respond in a "non-R/C" way. I don't start it but I will finish it.

But I never will come off the wall and spout something not r/c related. My comments in that regard are always in response to someone elses "non-R/C related" post. It's either that or start deleting people.

I have deleted a few posts here just because they are so stupid they bringing down the quality of the topic. I won't put up with one sentence moronic statements like, "Hey Big Jim, you're a jerk!" That's not interesting for anybody. It's obviously one persons opinion but does anybody want to read it? I don't think so.

But if all else fails, this is not a democracy here. I run it totally. Brandon (the owner of the site) gives me full autonomous control. He doesn't have the most read r/c Q&A site on the net for nothing and he's not about to relinguish my control. So there's no questioning what I do here or the way I do it. No, "But Big Jim you said..blah, blah" or "Big Jim you have a double standard here...blah, blah.."

I simply say, "So, it's my forum".

But I try to adhere to my own standards as discribed above with the unique boundaries that the hardest working r/c site moderator on the Internet (for no moneratry compensation what-so-ever) has to have. Besides, having a topic like this keeps the bashers off the "learning" topics. I will not put up with that sort of thing other than here on Commentary.

There is no "hidden agenda" here as someone has suggested. Promoting the hobby/sport of R/C Racing and to help people are still my only goals, hidden or otherwise.

BTW for all, something like, "Big Jim you're a jerk but I love r/c racing" doesn't qualify for keeping within the two rules. Use your head is all I ask from anyone.

Euge
01-15-2003, 06:52 PM
BJ,

Good enough for me.
Although, I still feel that this thread, with it's fairly liberal rules and not to mention the open invite to TT to come here and post, was bound to end up getting as ugly as it did, even with the simple two rules. I think it was human nature.

Big Jim
01-15-2003, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I'm with you Euge

But truthfully, I haven't had to delete anything from the good info topics since I started the Commentary topic. The people who just come here to learn can avoid this topic altogether and be assured of no rotten stuff on the "learning about motors" topics. This was my main goal and it seems to be working with the added benefits of more traffic that increase revenue to Brandon.

And of course, makes my name even more of a household word, well if your household is the r/c race track, haha. Something I couldn't care less about which lets me know my ego is still in check.

Thank you for your posts.

jeffie86-96
01-15-2003, 09:05 PM
I dont' know if I ever told you this Jim but my nephews RC Racing friend says he had a Big Jim motor once and it was the fastest thing he had ever seen. He would buy another but his RC bills have gotten him into hot water with the Mrs.
Divorce is expensive, I know!:(

Euge
01-15-2003, 09:41 PM
But truthfully, I haven't had to delete anything from the good info topics since I started the Commentary topic.

heheheh
I guess the moral is that good can still come from the bad.

Big Jim
01-16-2003, 02:47 AM
Haha, Jeffie

...I lost my first wife to slot cars and my second to R/C cars. Being married twice, I could be a tour guide in hell!

My thanks to the late Sam Kinison for that one; my favorite Corvette driving, on-the-edge comedian. His 'vette plate said "ExRev". He was a minister at one time. Most people don't know this but the CEO of Trinity, Ernest Provetti was studying to be a Catholic Minister at one time, hence the name TRINITY. Significant Catholic religious implications in that name, for you agnostics.

Brandon_Rohde
01-16-2003, 07:52 AM
Hey Big Jim,
Off topic, but any chance we could see some baby pics from when you were little? LOL

Someone told me to ask you that today at the shop :p Would be interesting to see a motor genius in development, hehe.

Brandon_Rohde
01-16-2003, 07:53 AM
BTW> Nice avatar. I wonder who posted that for you ;)

Big Jim
01-16-2003, 08:07 AM
Ask and you shall receive.

I'll have to dig them up and scan them. I was cute back then. 37 years of playing with toy cars DOESN'T keep you young. I'll vouch for that!

Big Jim
01-16-2003, 08:11 AM
ELVIS Copied me!

Not exactly a baby pic but it was awhile ago. Thanks to Don Campbell for finding this old pic in an even older slot magazine.

Thanks for the avatar Brandon!

Then there's that picture of me in RC Trinity..er...I mean RC Car Action magazine, December 1999 issue, "The Century in R/C", from 1978.

Luckyman4
01-16-2003, 10:34 AM
:eek:

Whoa! LOVE those stylin' threads too! LOL! What a babe magnet ... (grin) ... posting that pic ought to reassure folks about your ability to take friendly criticism. I bet the ladies wanted to know all about your 'fiddlestick' preferences back then too!

Back to this thread ... hope you didn't miss my "thank you" for the Top 10 Tips and All The Tips threads a few pages back, just before Beavis & Butthead got rolling here. As an historian by inclination, I'm really hoping you don't delete this thread. It's a great piece of RC history, and the kind of stuff all historians wish we could find on "notable characters" who impact our culture. And I have to agree, as a guy who lurks more than he posts, I've noticed this thread had led to a major reduction in the junk posts on the other informative threads here. Keep this baby going!

BTW, I've been keeping the P2K and MVP you rebuilt for me late last year "in reserve" for the Big Races ... got a biggie coming up the 23rd-25th in Chillicothe MO that I'm now glad I've saved them for. I'll be running them in my XXX-T in the Old Geezers class, er, I mean the "Masters" class. THANKS JIM!! :D

-John

MikeGolden
01-16-2003, 11:58 AM
Jim,
Why do you keep saying "G.I.M.M.I.C.K." with all those "."? Just wondering, and I didn't want to mess up the real threads.